Skin Type V, facial hair removal (beard)

Laser is not good for any hair that’s not BOTH DENSE AND COARSE. It doesn’t sound like any of the hair you have left fits this category.

You should NEVER treat individual hairs on a woman’s face. That’s how induced growth gets stimulated, i.e. because the laser beam will inevitably touch the skin around that one hair and stimulate growth there.

No, you don’t do laser and electrolysis together. You do one or the other. In your case, you should really just be doing electrolysis now. You already killed everything laser can affect. The rest will just keep coming back because it can’t be affected permanently.

Run a search for Toronto here. There are threads about electrologists there.

You shouldn’t tan at all during laser treatments because your skin needs to be as light as possible. If the skin has a tan, they have to decrease the settings, thus making your treatments even less effective. For electrolysis, it doesn’t matter.

LAgirl, I am a guy (skin 5). Does your advice still holds true?

Does Yag induce hairs as well?

It’s actually even more true for you. All lasers induce hair. It doesn’t depend on the laser. It depends on your hair type and skin type. Darker skin types are more susceptible to it.

Can you post photos? It’s hard to tell whether your hair is coarse enough. I assume you were female.

So, I went to a laser clinic (yag) yesterday with a friend. the technician told us that during a laser treatment, only 7-10% hairs are actually removed, even though all hairs might shed. Basically, the hairs which grows back on the surface - are either remaining 90-93% of those shed hairs, or dormant hairs.

I just thought of sharing her idea about laser. She has 7 years of lhr experience!

What she’s trying to say is that only a portion of the hair is in anagen phase at any given time and can be killed. 7% is too low. It’s about 25% or so.

@lagirl: I just got my 6th -> Yag lhr (beard) @ 30 ms, 15mm spot, 25J. Is it better settings than my previous setting? Previous was @ 30ms, 12mm spot, and 30Joule. The treatment is for skin V (man-beard), with Elite Nd:Yag laser

Spot size was increased due to patches on my chin area. Should I ask her to go any higher? What would be the max. for this machine?

Question 2: how many hours after laser hair removal can we hit the gym? --> (24 hrs??)

They decreased the joules, so it’s not that different. If they increase the spot size and kept the joules the same, it would have been stronger.

I would wait until there is no irritation left before heading to the gym. Sweating will clog up pores and can cause more irritation.

but she said -> 25 Joule was the maximum for 15mm setting!

On the Apogee Elite Yag? That’s not true. She might mean she thinks it’s max for your skin type. Are you sure it’s the Apogee Elite Yag?

For a skin type V, you should be ok at those settings regardless. Tell us how shedding goes.

yeh! it is Apogee Elite Yag

does that mean - that type I and II can go higher on Joule than skin type V/VI (on Yag/ or any other machine?) I asked her to go higher on Joule, but she didn’t. I felt more pain, compared to previous treatment though.

Yes, the laser can be used on all skin types. The tech adjusts the settings based on the skin color. The good ones are aggressive with settings without burning the skin. That requires experience. Because if the settings are too conservative, hair won’t be gone permanently.