Skin type III-IV, laser wooooo

Well if she gives everyone that much sass, I doubt it’s the settings driving business away!

Well back to this old post, I’ve started my laser/electro journey once again! I went to 4 consultations recently for laser/one lady does electro and laser. This is all in the northern virginia area btw… Anyways, for the test spot, the first laser place had a gentlemax and wanted to used 8 joules on the alexandrite side at 18mm, I asked if she would try higher joules but she wouldn’t budge a bit and said she wanted to stay on the “cautious side” even though all I was asking her for was a test patch. I know that from this forum anything under 14 joules on the 18mm spotsize is pointless and I should be using a yag instead, even though they had the yag they still thought the perfect beginning setting was 8 joules at the 18mm… moved on. Next consult, was for a lady who does electro and laser(only had the alexandrite). I liked her for electro(been to other consults a while back) and I’m definitely sticking with her for my electro(a lot of the nipple hairs and stomache hairs electroed a month ago haven’t grown back yet!!) anyways I always though I could only use a yag, but she said she’d used her candela gentlelase on people with my similar skin tone and she did 14 test spots at 18mm spot size, starting with 10 joules, 12, then 14. I didn’t have a reaction to the 14 joules, so yesterday I had my legs, buttocks(I want a reduction and finish off with electro( risky since its between fine to course which I know I should maybe just do electro, but she said it would be good for a reduction, I trust her since she does both electro and laser). We also did 14 joules on the underarms, but she said she wanted to start with maybe 12 joules for my “brazilian” since the skin was a lil darker(I know that you guys recommend only 14 joules and up for the 18 spot size on gentlelase, but hopefully I can do that next time or maybe I have to switch to someone who has a yag machine for just the brazilian…). My legs became red, but the redness went away by the time I left the office! Sweet!

I know that sometimes I hear about people on the forum starting out with the 18mm spot size and as the hair gettings finer lower the spot size and up the joules. I think for my next session I want 16 joules, but I think after that on areas with finer hairs like thighs/buttocks do you think I should lower the spot size to 15mm or 12mm and up the joules, and any setting recommendations for that??

I did end up having a few markings on my anus areas where it was like dark(blackish markings circular like the laser) do you think these will go away, I put some burn cream on it… I think the problem was the skin their is soooo much darker. She even asked me if I was sure I wanted to use the setting since she generally starts a lil lower, but I ok’ed it so I’m not mad at her one bit. I didn’t have any markings on the front side of my bikini area just in the back part, so I think I want to stick with at least 14 joules for the front part of my brazilian and maybe just test spot 16 joules and I haven’t decide what I want to do with the “back region”. Btw any yag settings help would be awesome, so when I try some consults I’ll know what settings to look for. Like spot size and minimum joules needed. Thank you!!

I wouldn’t do laser on areas with hair that’s not coarse. You are likely to get induced growth vs. any sort of reduction, i.e. more electro will be needed later. Either way, max on 15mm GentleLASE is 30J. So you can judge accordingly how high you need to increase. I wouldn’t recommend treating this area once again.

Let us know how shedding goes with those settings.

Red swollen follicles are a good sign. You want that.

If you experienced any discoloration, it will go away.

The hairs on my glutes I don’t think are that fine, but they may have been too fine, so I’ll have to wait and see how I react to the treatment. I do hope there is some reduction and not induced growth =/

I was happy to see swollen folicles, it finally felt like I was getting a decent session. Do you think that after a few sessions on my legs with 18mm spot size do you think I should lower the spot size to 15 or say 12 and up the joules. I don’t think I’ll be able to treat higher than 16 joules at 18 spot size on the gentlelase.

I would stick with 16J on 18mm whenever possible.

I just had a consultation with a clinic that uses the apogee elite since it has yag and alex and wanted to see if it would be better to go with a yag. I just had her do a test spot on my forearm to see what settings she wpuld use. She says she only uses the tiny 12mm spot size for all treatment. She used 45 houles and a pulse width of 40… i dont think the setting spunds great, the pulse width spunds high and i think the 15 mm spot size wpuld be better…

For your skin type, that setting is not too bad. You can have her test a few other options too if she’s open.

Do you think the pulse width is too high? What is the max you would generally recommend if i kept the other settings similar?

Anyone?

That pulse width is high, but not too bad. You can ask to go down to 20. Lowest is typically 5ms.