Second Laser Treatment..

Looking at your photo, there may be an allergic component to the reaction but it probably is secondary. What we see with beards is that because of the density that there can be collateral heating of the deep tissue around the individual hairs leading to some heat effect deep in the tissue. This is very different from the normal reaction the usually occurs in the epidermis. What is important here is to keep everything clean and not get infected. The problem with these kinds of reactions is that they sometimes don’t heal as well. You need to stay in close contact with the facility and their physician.

sslhr,

When it’s a dense beard like this, what do you recommend to try to prevent this type of reaction?

We treat at a much lower settings. We have had reactions like this as low as 10 joules on an alexandrite. The more coarse the hair and the denser it is, the less important is the power requirement. Or a better way to say this is that there is a threshold over which it isn’t as important to raise the power. Hair like this has a lower threshold because the hair is a much bigger target.

That’s logical… so you mean to say that at like 30 joules you’re just doing unnessecary collateral damage, because the hairs are such big antennae that even at 10 joules the job would get done anyway? But I was also under the impression that these hairs were more resilliant than the average hair, no?

the more coarse the hair, the easier it is to treat with lasers. with electrolysis, it’s the opposite because electrolysis doesn’t work by being attracted to pigment like laser. and coarse hair has more pigment.

The conundrum of laser hair removal. Or why it is much harder than anyone thinks.

Hey Everyone,
I figured I would post an update so you could see what my face looks like now. I think it’s actually healing pretty well. I don’t know if there is going to be permanent discoloration, but I doubt it. I know there are dead hairs underneath the darker patches of skin on my chin. I pretty much have all the feeling back in my chin except a few tiny spots.

So I had my laser done on 7/7, so we’re like three weeks out. I think time has basically, like many of you said, worked out and my face has just fought to get back to it’s normal state. The other areas of my face (cheeks, neck, etc) have no hair on them except for a few tiny spots they missed.

I’m going to see how this looks in 2 weeks and then make a decision about where to go next. I am going to start electrolysis in August. Lagirl, I think I’m going to go with Layla possibly, but I’ll let you know. Hopefully I don’t have the same issues with etrol as I did laser. I think if they don’t overdue it, I’ll be fine.

Anyway, here is the link to my new pics taken just a few minutes ago. I also have some of the old ones for comparison:

It does look better and I’m so relieved and happy for you, Chino. I swear that last session just had to kill a lot of hair, since it was so powerful.

Thank You!!! for the update.

Dee

Hi Everyone,
Ok, first of all, it’s been like seven months since I posted an update. I didn’t mean to leave anyone who cared hanging or anything, but I’ve been so busy with life and transition. Start HRT in September, changed jobs, etc, etc.

Ok, so, facial hair. I had my awful experience with Laser that we’re going to chalk up to not doing enough research and letting them fry my face. Live and learn I guess.

Ok, so, lagirl had recommended using Layla in LA and I had actually met her at a gender event in LA in July so it worked out well. I can tell you this, and I’m completely impartial to laser vs. electro, I had no strong feelings either way before I started electro.

Thanks for the recommendation to Layla lagirl because I am so, so happy with her. I’ve had…let’s see…90 hours up until now, 4 months. I do 6-8 hours a week and have until June to rid my face of facial hair (facial surgery in July). Layla has taken a process that I’ve feared and been really afraid of beforehand to actually, I know this is crazy, looking forward to!

Granted it doesn’t feel good or anything, but there is something very, very relaxing about going to her, listening to relaxing music, laying back with a pillow and a blanket and zoning out. Well, I take a few painkillers before I leave my house, that probably helps, lol. My point is this. I am probably halfway through my electrolysis and I’m really happy now. I was so worried about transition and laser and now I’m feeling much better about the whole process.

So, that’s my update :slight_smile: Just want to keep you all posted. Thank you for the continued support, Meghan :slight_smile:

(I couldn’t figure out how to change my name in the room so all of my posts now showed Meghan, oh well :slight_smile:

You’re welcome and very glad you’re in a good place now, in part due to electrolysis. I actually heard of Layla through my electrologist, so I’m glad she’s as good as I’ve heard.

none of your pictures show up for any of the links in this entire thread.

How can we see your progress with electrolysis? I’m very interested in Layla’s work.

If anyone is still following this thread and wants to see results, just msg me at meghanlynnandrews@gmail.com. I’m fully transitioned now and I don’t want to post a lot of pics publicly :slight_smile: I hope you all are doing well!