Reliability of the Platinum

I am still having issues with the machine. As far as i can track it down there seems to be more than one problem:

a) the relais stwitching between the outputs seem to have contact problems, especially that for output A. Switching back and forth between the outputs often helps but not always.

A real nuisance because this flakiness is something i seriously doubt the service people of the German distributor are able to deal with. My first impression on that service was not the best.

b) the cords. These days my backup cord went disfunctional.

Hardly used.
I measured its resistance - ok, even while bending the cord. Under the loupes i saw oxidation and possibly dirt in the contact area. I am trying to remove these by applying Caig Deoxide (an expensive stuff to clean electronic contacts. I need it to maintain my old guitar amps).
The cords seem to be much more sensitive or even prone to contact problems than the cords of the Junior.

Experiencing issues with a machine is horrible, I had nightmares with mine. When I got it back from a repair one of the outlet ports wasn’t working at all.
In my opinion the cords should be more robust than they seem to be. It is unsettling having an intermittent issue with a cord. It can make consistent zapping impossible and from my electrician experience I know that intermittent faults are the hardest ones to pin down.
The test facility on the machine isn’t helpful when the fault is only apparent when the cord is turned in a particular way. With a living breathing person on the couch in front of you this can lead to a very uncomfortable situation :frowning:
It’s a pity the cords are specific to each machine otherwise I think I’d be tempted to use an older style one from one of dectros earlier machines. I believe these had a bit more life in them?

It is possible to beef up the cord by wrapping it, or encasing it in a stronger material. The problems are from the bending of the cord and the easy break points at the port, and the top of the cord. Of course, if you get to charge $75 per cord, you might not want to fix that problem. Remember Henry Ford said, “I would give my cars away if I could have a monopoly on the replacement parts.” :wink:

Our distributor in Spain must be aware of the words of Henry Ford, because here if you want a new needle holder, you have to pay 90.74 € (117.841$). How much is in Germany and UK?

That same needleholder in NorthAmerica is about $48. I’m curious to know why there is a huge price difference.

sometimes like josefa said… the prob will read as functional… and you still need a new probe holder… if your loosing power id be calling dectro… i had problems once with a mother board and the completely replaced the board then everything was fine. you know its not working right …press them to find it!!!

Always have at least two brand new in package probe holders handy.

There are so many places these things can break. The connector, the handpiece, and anywhere along the way of the cord. When a break occurs in the cord, you have zero way of knowing, and the break will only effect the treatment when the cord moves in just that right way to break the current. Sometimes, the cord will be in a position that is not a total break, but not delivering the current as best as possible.

If you are hearing a click, thunk or some other sound coming from the machine that you don’t normally hear, that is a clue that you could have a loose connection as well.

I recently purchased a Platinum Pure from Dectro, it was a two year old machine with approximately 100 hours of use, within 6 weeks it started to cut out on me in the middle of a treatment, it then lost the screen entirely. Dectro replaced it with a brand new machine. Has anyone experienced this? I am hoping this machine works better.

No, never had anything like that happen, Carmella. Was there a problem with the motherboard? How did they explain this?

I’d say that is great customer service to replace it with a new one.

Hi Carmella, I had the exact same experience with my first Platinum. I bought my Platinum when it first came out in 2006 from another European country as the distributor in Ireland didn’t stock them at the time. When I tried to turn it on I got a blank screen. It seems the circuit board was not soldered on and it slipped in transit. The distributor send me a new one immediately. All was well until late 2008 it started turning of during treatment. I was able to turn it on straight away again though. This happened a to me a few times and I send it back to the European Distributor. I also emailed Dectro in Canada about it. The Distributor told me that on examination by him he found that it was so badly damaged that it could not be repaired. Dectro in Canada shipped me a brand new machine immediately complete with all new attachments, needle holders etc. I was delighted with the way they dealt with it and it has been fine ever since. As a matter of interest did you ever download an upgrade from your computer for your Platinum-Pure before this happened ?

Therese
Thank you for sharing your experience. I also was really pleased with the customer service Dectro provided. Your question about downloading upgrades from the computer, I am completely in the dark on that one, I wasn’t aware of upgrades being available on line, how does that happen? Does Dectro notify owners about upgrades?

This is what I love about this site, the opportunity to share information that we would otherwise be unlikely to know about!

Dee

I have not yet learned what the problem was with the first machine, and yes as always Dectro comes through with the finest customer service.

Hi Carmella,
When the Platinum first came out one could download upgrades for it e.g New presets and new languages etc. I don’t think that this happens anymore and I don’t know if it applied to the Platinum Pure or if it was just the Platinum. Perhaps somebody else on here might know

I haven’t experienced any problems with overheating. During the cooler months I do have a space heater in my office to keep the temperature comfortable for clients, I will keep it in mind.

By the way, I got a flyer from Dectro yesterday, they have a special promotion on the the Platinum Pure right now.