My guy uses only thermolysis - will this take longer to perm. clear me

I am a registered nurse as well as a licensed electrologist. I would not dream of walking into a patient’s room even to take a temp without wearing gloves. I am not perfect as an electrologist and make the occassional imperfect insertion which may result in a speck of blood. Gloves to me are mandatory each and every time. I use the Dash Nuvo vinyl as well. Check with your state board for sanitary/hygiene requirements.

To the tweezing, popping sensation. In the bikini area, I use the multi which is pure galvanic. The hairs do slide out after the treatment. Any popping or tugging is usually from a telogen or old hair that has its bulb dried out and is shaped like a hard ball (imagine a live tree with it’s roots wrapped in burlap). In my experience, curved or distored follicle/hair roots do not respond well to thermolysis. The probe simply cannot reach the bottom of the hair follicle to do an effective treatment. A straight probe can’t get to the dermal papilla. The galvanic current completely treats the follicle from top to bottom so it doesn’ matter what shape the follicle is. I would have the practioner at least do the blend to get the benefit of the galvanic current on the bikini hairs.

Kathleen

1 Like

I started a course of electrolysis in early July to remove my pubic hair. I’m not really sure what method my guy uses, but it sounds like thermolysis from the discussion here. Each pulse is about half a second. It stings a bit, but I stand it perfectly well without anesthetic. Please note that not too many electrologists in NYC remove public hair, and this guy is very convenient for me, so I’d like to stay with him if it looks like he’s doing the job right.

My big problem is regrowth. In four treatments (roughly weekly), fairly large areas have been totally cleared, but the hair grows back in 2 weeks or so. He claims it’s thinner, but it still seems like an awful lot of “returning” hair to me. I expected that more hairs would be permanently removed. Maybe this is just the way it works. And pubic hair has deep roots, as he noted – and has been noted in this thread previously. So it’s pretty tenacious!

A secondary problem is red scab-like spots. This was not a problem at all on the most “southerly” areas. The scrotum and penis cleared very nicely – although not permanently, as noted above. Same with the area just above the penis. But in cleared areas farther “north,” toward the navel where the skin is maybe softer and the hairs finer, nasty-looking red spots appeared about 12 hours or so after treatment. Most of them are still there 5 days later, although obviously healing fairly well and not so nasty-looking at this point.

Any advice from anybody?

Bruce

Repeat after me:

One would have to take a before, and after picture of the treated area on the day of treatment, and then another picture one year later to know the value of one electrology treatment they received.

One would need a minimum of 9 months to get total clearance, assuming you started out with full clearance in the first place.

So give your electrologist 9 to 12 months before you start wondering about how much of your hair will ocme back.

read this post string for more information.

Growth and Regrowth Info

I have switched back and forth between blend and thermolysis for my back. Thermolysis is faster but leaves me with swelling for a couple days and the blend swelling goes away in a few hours. I also get fewer ingrowns with blend which is important since my neck was where I was getting them. I still haven’t decided which is best but blend is the way I am going.

My electrologist does not use gloves, I think that helps her feel for the stubble. She uses a circle lamp/magnifier on an arm also, so she misses some hairs. And she uses a Claireblend epilator which is not the newest machine out there. I once mentioned that she get another machine but she said her’s was modern. (haha) I’m not very impressed with her money management skills so I’m not holding out for new equipment.