My Electrolysis Journey in Atlanta

I’m glad! I left the same with I started electrolysis (blend). I’d actually go for my appointments before work and by the time I reached the office, my skin would be back to normal.

Thermolysis is great in the right hands too. But if this electrologist is the only one that you can find that does good treatment and looks after your skin, then you should stick with her.

Thank you for posting this! I am looking for electrolysis in the Atlanta area, and I am very interested in following your experiences.

Dear Breezy,
I was reading about your journey, and I felt compelled to write you. I also live in Atlanta. I have seen both of the people you have referenced, and I don’t want you to endure some of the frustration I have experienced. I have seen Voncille every month for 4 years, and I have developed MORE COARSE hair. I ended up going to my dermatologist to seek her advice. She referred me to 2 other people in Atlanta who perform electrolysis. Both of these professionals told me that they were 100% certain that Voncille was plucking my hair as it still had the clear sheath on each hair. Also, I felt a little sting when each of these different people performed electrolysis, and I never felt this with Voncille. Both of these people told me that I will not need electrolysis for very long, and they were both shocked that I had been receiving it for 4 years, especially due to the small quantity of hair that I want removed. I NEVER had a scab after my appointments with Voncille, and I developed the brief scabs after I saw these other 2 professionals. Since I live closer to Hanna’s office, I decided to continue to see her and I stopped seeing the other individual who I was referred to see. For the past 2-3 months, I have continued to get electrolysis from Hanna at Mishael’s Electrolysis Center, and these dark hairs have become very fine. In fact, the formerly coarse hair is softer than the hair on my head. SOME OF THE HAIRS ON THE TOP OF MY LIP HAVE NOT GROWN BACK. WHILE I AM VERY HAPPY with HANNA, I continue to feel very frustrated that I spent A LOT of MONEY and TIME to develop more coarse and thick hair on my lip, which I wanted removed permanently. I think the reason you might not be seeing scabs is because the hair is not being treated with much current or it is being plucked. Please take my advice to heart, and contact me if you have any questions.

Just checking in. I saw Voncille once a month from January through July for galvanic on both my chin and upper lip – approximately 7 or 8 times total. By mid-summer I still did not see any reduction on the chin or upper lip, and that was disappointing; however, it did appear the light “shadow” was fading on the upper lip, so it’s possible there * was * some reduction there. Seeing Voncille only 1x a month rather than 2x a month could be a reason I failed to see any appreciable difference, too.

I requested blend on my chin on my last appt. with Voncille, and she believed I couldn’t handle it but gave it a try at my request. As it turned out, I responded beautifully to that method (i.e., no burns or skin issues). Perhaps if I had blend done on my chin rather than galvanic for 7 months, I would have noticed results?

Anyway, I am now starting to see Goldie Fodor, who works in Buckhead. She is cheaper than Voncille ($45 for 30 minutes rather than $75) and her office location is much more convenient for me since I run errands in Buckhead on Saturdays. I don’t feel any hair tugging when Goldie works on me, so that’s a nice bonus. Her equipment appears much older than Voncille’s, though she appears to be just as busy.

The best thing about Goldie is that, like Hanna, she gets you in & out of your appointments quickly. Voncille did not. Although Voncille is an adorable woman who I much enjoyed, she did not manage my appointment time as well as they have. She is much chattier than Goldie and Hanna, which is delightful but which also can create time issues for me personally. She didn’t appear to be as chatty with other clients, so perhaps we enjoyed an unusual rapport which ended up created boundary issues there. Frankly, I don’t have the heart to say to Voncille, “I don’t like spending 1.5 to 2.5 hours at your office for a 30-minute appointment,” so that’s my bad … Anyway, this time issue, along with the higher expense and inconvenient location (for me), is what is causing me to see Goldie, instead.

I would consider going back to Hanna because she has a great reputation but, as Voncille pointed out, it took three or four months for my chin to recover from Hanna’s method of electrolysis. Hanna’s method doesn’t suit my skin. I know others have not had the same skin reaction so she obviously works very well for others.

Goldie is my last attempt at electrolysis. Because she is nearly half the cost of Voncille and easier to plan around, I am going to see her every two weeks for galvanic on the upper lip and blend on the chin. If I don’t see reduction by January or February, I’m quitting electrolysis altogether and doing laser. Wish me luck!

I seriously have to ask my colleagues here. Who does “straight galvanic?” Are they doing single-needle galvanic? I cannot imagine working without thermolysis. I can see working with thermolysis only; but not “galvanic only.” Maybe I’m missing something.

Were I working a sensitive upper lip, I would go with a Laurier and straight thermolysis.

Straight galvanic implies to me, that one is using a single probe, using the galvanic modality only, direct current, resulting in a single hair being treated in minutes rather than seconds or even less time, under a second. I have never found the need to treat any hair this way. It is effective, but not more effective than other choices. So why not do some quicker?

Both have told me it’s galvanic. I’ve asked repeatedly.

I’m hesitant to do thermolysis again because Hanna was gentle with me during my first visit, but the thermolysis still left red marks on my chin for weeks.

A question now that I’ve read Ughhair’s response last April –

I haven’t had any scabbing after my visits with Voncille or Goldie. My skin has responded well. I thought this was a good thing. However, ughhair’s post last April seems to suggest that post-visit scabbing is the sign of good electrolysis. Is that true?

Hi Breezy - how long was the current on for?

On the facial area with galvanic or blend scabs are less likely. I know know one person (offline) who scabs with blend but the rest do not. With thermolysis it’s more likely but how much you scab depends on your own skin and the electrologist.

There are many thoughts I have had in response to this post. First off, I am also an electrologist in the Atlanta area and know two of the Electrologists you are referring to in a professional capacity, however, have not received electrology treatments from either one of them.

I, like Michael, am wondering why you would be receiving straight galvanic vs. Blend in a single-needle capacity. I suppose I would have to do a skin analysis for myself to determine this but I have found Blend to be appropriate for nearly every skin type at the proper settings.

Also, I agree that scabbing is not indicative of a proper or successful Thermolysis treatment but more-so of your skin’s response to the treatment and possibly the settings and type of Thermolysis used. I, personally, prefer MicroFlash and none of my clients have ever reported scabbing.

I am sorry you haven’t had a favorable electrology experience and I hope you were able to find something that worked for you without having to resort to laser. Good Luck!

Stopit&tidyup, I’m a poor judge of time but each insertion seems to take 30-45 seconds.

Chrissie, I asked for galvanic. After seeing the marks left on my chin after my first thermolysis session, Voncille insisted she would never do anything but galvanic on my upper lip. Goldie is very comfortable with galvanic on the upper lip, too. I have the impression they routinely practice this form of electrolysis on their clients.

I’m hopeful I’ll start seeing some results now that I’m getting blend on my chin every 2 weeks. I’ll report back at the holidays and let you know how it’s going … If I’m still not seeing results, maybe I’ll see you, Chrissie, before resorting to laser!

Well, it’s been nearly a year since I last posted. I’ve been seeing Goldie Fodor for electrolysis in Atlanta after seeing two others for electrolysis and posting here. I’m very pleased! My sessions are increasingly shorter. I have to remember to give myself * days * of growth time before I see Goldie because, if I don’t, we can’t find much to work with. :slight_smile:

Goldie does blend, BTW. I do notice my upper lip has a tendency to wrinkle more than it did before electrolysis, but it’s not horrible, not noticeable to anyone but me, and could be age-related.

I highly recommend Goldie Fodor. She has a humble little office in Buckhead and doesn’t market herself very well because she is an older woman with no interest in the internet, but she does superb, effective work, has years of experience and is very reasonably priced. The best!!!

Electrolysis works!

GO GOLDIE!

About the wrinkling, could be the wrinkling was already there, but you were more focused on the hair before it disappeared with the magic of electrolysis. Before pictures are always helpful in this regard. I just had a lady say to me last week that she just discovered wrinkles around her mouth after a second clearing of her upper lip. I pulled out her before picture and she could see they were there before we started treatment, but she just wasn’t aware they were there.

My heart is full for you. Thanks for taking your time to testify about your positive results.