leg plucking obsession

They call obsessive plucking trichotillomania. I suggest talking to a doctor, recently studies have pointed to a genetic cause (it runs in families).

There are also some studies that point to increased essential fatty acids, amino acids and melatonin being helpful for people with this problem as well.

I have been putting bath or baby oil on my legs as soon as I get out of the shower in the morning. I also put on a little big before I put my pajamas on at night (usually wear pants so that the oil doesn’t get on the sheets). The oil really helps my skin because it helps hydrate it. I didn’t realize how dry my legs were until I started useing it. The oil also makes them look better for a few hours too. I’ll put it on with a skirt if I’m going out somewhere. I think the shine that the oil gives my legs helps take away from the redness. Give it a try. Also, because my legs are slick with the oil, it makes it harder to pluck.

October 1-7 is Trichotillomania Awareness Week!

I can totally relate with bleu2173… I, too, never expected to see anyone else with this obsession until I came across this website.

I am 37 yrs old and have been plucking w/ tweezers the hair above my ankles since I was in college. My college roommate was plucking her leg hair so I tried it too.

I have never told anyone about it. When people ask what’s wrong with my legs, I say that they’re mosquito bites.

My legs are bumpy, but, fortunately, just a small area where I have continuously plucked for over 15 years! I have recently stopped plucking and shave any thick leg hair there, but the scars remain… What is the best way to get rid of the scars?

how much do lasers cost to remove the scars?

Can lasers remove scars?

Wow. I am so glad I came across this site, and this thread!

I had no idea that what I did actually had a name and that so many people had the same problem.
I read a page on Trichotillomania and I had a lot of the other associated symptoms… I had thought though that it was an extension of my OCD and I guess it kind of is.

Luckily for me I do it in a place that no one sees, except my boyfriend… and he hasn’t ever asked. It still looks so horrible though, and I have scarring ><

Hey all. It’s pink_piper again. I just wanted everyone to see this website that I came across. It’s called Amanda’s Trichotillomania Guide and has some really great info. A lot of it is about hair on heads being pulled out but, it still is very useful.
http://home.intekom.com/jly2/

This specific page was very interesting to me:
http://home.intekom.com/jly2/ttmritualindex.html
It lists other things other than plucking that people with trich do. A lot of them seem a little weird (like eating the hair) b/c I don’t do them but there are certainly some that I do do. These are the ones that I honestly do and get enjoyment out of (almost as good a rush as leg plucking).

1. Biting of inside of cheek
  2. Picking fleas (of my dog)
    3.Nose picking
    4.Picking zits
  3. Pulling weeds from garden
    6.Peeling burnt skin from sunburn

So anyway, just thought I’d share. Hope it helps. Oh, this site is pretty good to: http://www.geocities.com/self_harm/trich.html
Let me know what you think.
Happy Holidays from pink_piper.

Hello all, just wanted to share that it’s been about a year and 3 months since I last plucked anything on my body. The redness is gone but I still wouldn’t dare wear shorts in daylight because the pigmentation on my legs is still wretched…it’s like I have these dark spots all over, where the follicles are. Also, I’ve noticed that it’s impossible for me to get a close shave no matter how new or good the razor. The skin is even bumpy and raised after I shave and I can still feel hair immediately after. Before I started plucking, my shaves always gave me really smooth legs and no bumpiness or redness. Does anyone else have this problem now when they shave?

Also, just a gripe. I’m quite frustrated with the little information there is floating around on the internet about this disorder. All the sites I’ve come across on Trichotillomania focus on pulling hair on the scalp or eyelashes. And a search for experts on the subject only leads me to psychiatrists and psychologists, neither of whom can look at my skin and tell me what I need to do to made it look healthy again. I already know that I have a problem, what I really need is an aesthetic cure!

Sorry, it’s just that having legs and other parts look the way they do makes me feel grotesque, especially since I live in a place where shorts are the daily dress code and you’d be boiling in jeans.

I’m considering ordering some glycolic acid off of Ebay. Anyone ever tried a peel on their legs? Do you think it would make them worse?

Oh my God I think this is the most comforting thing I have ever read. I do it too! I have felt like such a freak sometimes I thought I was the only person that did this! It’s so relieveing to know I am not alone! i have been doing it for years I absolutely can’t stand ingrown hairs if I have one I have to get rid of it, I too am trying to stop doing it though.

I have found Bio-Oil helps the scars

there are lasers that help minimize scarring. you need to see a dermatologist for the best advice on your particular situation.

removing hair permanently also helps with this issue somewhat, although some people move on to other areas once this hair is taken care of.

Dorkus, thanks for the update. It’s amazing that you’ve gone that long. Congrats! She should be an inspiration to us all. As far as your shaving problem, I’m not really sure. I know that keeping my legs mosturized (with lotion or oil) really helps me shave. I know how you feel about wearing shorts. I live in the deep South and by April people wear shorts nonstop until Sept or Oct.
This is a new year everybody! 2008!!! I was looking back at my first post and that was nearly 3 years ago. I’ve gotten better but not all the way. I do not spend hours at a time with tweezers but, I still pick at my legs. I’ve just got to stop looking at my legs. I think by not looking, I’ll not pick them. fingers crossed
Take care

I’m not sure if anyone is still replying to this post, but I created an account on this site just to reply to it!

I am 15 years old, and when I was about 13 I started plucking my leg hairs. The best place to pluck was around my ankles, and I would shave at night just so that there would be enough stubble to pluck in the morning. I would freak out if I forgot tweezers on a vacation. One year ago, I was SO embaressed when my sister walked in on me plucking. I made up the excuse that I had gotten slivers in my legs. I plucked so much that there would be hairs all over my wood floor in my room. I would hunch under a lamp for hours on end just to get the right amount of light for the optimum plucking experience.
And I thought I was the ONLY one!!!
Finally this year (October, to be exact) I told myself that I NEEDED to stop plucking because racquetball was coming up and I wanted to be able to wear shorts like normal people instead of hiding my scab covered legs like I did all throughout the summer.
I don’t know how I worked up the courage to throw away my tweezers, but I did. I would get these URGES to pluck, almost like it was my drug and I was having withdrawl symptoms. Actually, that’s exactly what it was like. I couldn’t go to therapy, because my mom has always wanted that perfect daughter, and it would have been beyond mortifying to tell her this private information.
I have finally quit, just like I forced myself to quit avoiding the cracks on pavement when I was younger. Now I realize that I must have OCD, and I can’t believe my parents never noticed.
The problem I have now is that I have these purplish red dots all over my legs (especially around my ankles) and some are slightly raised. I have extremely pale transluscent skin, which makes them pop out even more. I am still embaressed to expose my legs, is there anything I can do, or am I permanently scarred because of these last few years of hell? I tried Tend Skin (I’ve been using it off and on since Christmas, and I’m still using it) but I have noticed no difference, the red dots are still there. I am desperate for help!!!
Thank you all, I seriously feel so much better knowing I am not alone, and that this actually is recognized as a disorder. This is the first time I have “talked” about it, and I don’t have words for how amazing it feels to get this off of my chest!!
I hope everyone is doing better, I believe that every one of us has the will power within us to stop the obsession. Good luck!!!
(Sorry that this has turned into a novel, I just had to get it all out!)
XOXO,
Kaia

No apologies needed.
Tea Tree Oil overnight, and Aloe Vera during the day goes a long way to healing things like this. It will take religious attention to application daily, but if you stick to it, you may have lost visible signs of this problem in 6 months to a year.

You also want to drink enough water, eat well, and make sure that you are not bathing in chlorinated water, if you can avoid it.

Once you get older and get some money, you can see a dermatologist and see if laser treatments can help get rid of the scarring. For now, tea tree oil and vitamin e. How long has it been since you stopped? It can take up to a year or two for this to go away on its own even if it does.

Kaia, I’m glad you let it all out. I know how hard it is. I too started plucking when I was about your age (14 or 15). However, it looks like you have much more willpower to stop, than I did. I knew I wanted to stop but, I didn’t really ever try to stop until I was 18 or so. I’m know 22. Like you, I freaked out if anyone saw me plucking. My parents saw me a few times and I just told them that I had an ingrown hair. I also have a facination with the ankle area. I guess because that is where the hair starts growing. I really don’t do anything above the knee. Anyway, I have gotten a lot better. I would have back aches from bending over from plucking. I would do it until my eyes were blurry. Now, I’ll only do it for 10 minutes or so and the whole time I’m doing it, I’m telling myself to stop.
As far as scars go…good luck. I have not tried tea tree oil. It think I’ll give it a try. I mainly have very small red/purple spots but then I also have larger red blotches and scabs. The small ones tend to be smooth but the larger ones are raised.
Anyway, thanks for coming on board. I’ve got to go and get some sleep.

I’m so glad that this board is still being used!!
James W. Walker VII, CPE, I think that I will try the Tea Tree oil, is it something I can purchase at a convience store? Thank you for the suggestion!
Pink_Piper, your story is almost exactly like mine! I have noticed that using a self tanner helps to cover the red dots, it works like permanent makeup.
I have a dermatologist appointment this Thursday to get prescription cream, and I am trying to work up the courage to ask about this scarring problem. I’m still extremely embaressed about the whole situation, and my mom will be present with me in the office…any suggestions?
Thank you all for your help!

Kaia, how did your appointment go? Sorry I didn’t see your post until just now. I do have a suggestion, and you’re not going to like it. You need to tell your mom. I wish that I had told mine back when I went to the dermatologist. She also sat in on my appointments and I felt like I wanted to tell the doctor but not me mom. I know how you feel. I got married about a year and a half ago and it wasn’t until Jan. of last year that I finaly broke down and told my husband. He was suprised and a little wierded out by it but, he supported me and is really helping me to stop. He took away the tweazers and he checks up on me and asks me how I’m doing. It was the hardest thing to tell him but, it was like a huge weight was lifted after I did. The whole time I was crying and I felt like a freak but, he hugged me and that made me feel so much better. I don’t think that he quite understands the obession part of it and how hard it is not to pluck but, at least he knows. So Kaia, I urge you to tell your mom. It really will make things better for you. She will still love you. Best of luck.

I agree that you should tell your mom. I used to pick at my face (same type of OCD just in a different form) and still do a bit, but it’s a lot better because my best friend (who lives with me) knows. I basically specifically told him to get me to stop if he ever sees me doing it and he’s been doing a great job. The biggest problem with this type of condition is that you get into a trance mode and don’t realize as time goes by and you’re still at it. It really helps to have someone who knows intervene to make you stop while you’re doing it.