leg plucking obsession

So, I’ve never actually told anyone about this, but reading this thread makes me feel better. I’ve known this has a name for a while now, but everything seems to focus on head/face/pubic plucking…

I started about 9-10 years ago, just before high school. Initially I was pulling hair off my head and I ended up with a nice bald patch through most of grade nine as a result. I was so ashamed. I told people that my cat had bit the hair off. Yeah, I know how stupid that excuse sounds. I knew I had to stop though. I kept my hair in a tight pony tail for months.

Then, one day after shaving, I was plucking my eyebrows and noticed some errant leg hairs…

It’s worse than my head in some ways. I can hide it. No one needs to know. It looks AWFUL. I’ve got all these cuts and dents and bumps and argh. And my legs sting from that all the time, which only makes me want to pluck more. I’ll be curled up plucking for hours at a time until my legs go to sleep and my back pops and I still can’t stop. I’ve thrown out so many tweezers. I won’t keep them in the house. I’ve got a full on unibrown as a result and people make comments about it.

I’ve tried putting the tweezers away, no luck. I’ve stolen them from other people when I don’t have them. I’ve heard that you should put them in a block of ice and only let them melt when you want to do your eyebrows, but I don’t want to explain to my room mates who I barely know why I have tweezers in ice in the freezer. Without tweezers I use nail clippers.

I don’t even know, I haven’t told anyone about this in ten years and it just seems so - and the worst part is that, while I’m doing it, I don’t want to stop because it feels so good. I’ve managed to control it for months at a time but it always comes back. I also pick my face and zits and have horrible scarring from that. And bite my nails. And crack my joints. Urgh. I’m just a big ugly mess.

The condition you are talking about is called trichotillomania. I’m very familiar with the condition. Years ago, when I taught “special needs kids,” I had a young lady with the condition (focused on her head hair). At that time, there were few remedies for the condition.

Years later, I had a young adult fellow, with the same condition. He focused on his beard. His physician suggested removing the beard. We removed the beard, but it only worked for a relatively short time — he started on other areas. Today, this fellow is a lecturer and spokesperson for this condition. At this moment a film is being produced about the condition (featuring “Peter”) that should be coming out on Public Television (PBS).

There are actually medications you can take that somewhat help the condition. Please start your search by contacting the Trichotillomania Learning Center at [trich dot org] Also, talk openly to your physician who might be able to make valuable suggestions. This is a serious condition because it affects your self-esteem and social life. Let us know how you are doing.

The Pfeiffer Research Institute have some interesting theories on this, and regard it as an inability to produce normal amounts of certain neurotransmiitters. You may like to research this Michael and let us know your thoughts.

Indeed, those are the class of drugs that are being tried the: “Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.” Peter said it’s only a partial help at this moment. I don’t remember the exact one he’s taking. I’m going out to Arizona to see Peter and family in a few weeks. I can’t wait to hear what’s happening and have some of his mama’s amazing lasagna. I prefer their Sicilian version to the Romano (my family).

More:

I just spoke to Peter and he is taking a tiny dose of “Abilify.” Pretty surprising as this med is for other more serious mental illnesses. But it’s working “reasonably well.”

An excellent site that discusses such issues:
Trichotillomania by Fred Penzel, Ph.D.
http://www.wsps.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=37:trichotillomania-by-fred-penzel-phd&Itemid=64&layout=default

If you wish more personal information, “Tickingclock,” you may PM me and I can have you talk to those that suffer the same issues.

As Peter just said to me (I told him I’m pretty sure I’m “OCD”), he said: "Cumba, everybody is OCD … or something! Everybody has “a little something.” You know, that kid is right!

Tickingclock,

I’d like to echo the previous comments (re seek professional guidance). Usually, trichotillomania manifests secondarily to underlying psychiatric issues, mainly anxiety, depression and body-image disorders.

Helpful tools include cognitive behavioral therapy and pharmacotherapy. Behavioral modifications can also be useful: for many sufferers, the highest propensity to pluck occurs at home when watching TV or browsing the web. Exercising and keeping busy–though not a panacea, by any means–help take one’s mind off things, and help keep you away from tweezers.

If you actually want the leg hair gone (some pluck regardless), permanent removal is great. Many compulsive pluckers report a substantial decline in the urge to tweeze after commencing LHR or electrolysis, even between treatments as hair from different cycles emerges.

However, some simply move on and focus on other hair (or some other issue). Another similar compensatory phenomenon has recently been discovered with liposuction: a study found patients re-gained most of their fat a year after surgery, albeit in different locations in the body.

At a minimum, you should have a visit with a therapist to get some sort of treatment started.

Super post! Thanks for your professional opinion, J.

I go through periods of time where I am completely hyperfocused on the tweezing. For me it is tweezing on my legs and pubic area, and I pick at the backs of my arms. I have noticed that stress and anxiety make it worse, and I do have a diagnosis of A.D.D. and anxiety disorder. I get really frustrated with myself for doing this to my body, but when I’m in the middle of tweezing I actually enjoy it. I guess I can focus just on all those tiny little hairs and not the real issues that might be causing the anxiety. I’m glad this group is here to openly talk about this. Reading all the posts and suggestions has been wonderful.

I registered for this site just so I could join this forum. I have actually never joined any type of discussion board so bare with me. I too share many of the same tendencies and emotions that others have expressed. I began plucking my leg hairs for 2 reasons; the first, because I have very sensitive skin, large pores, as well as thick hair and thought that perhaps this would be a way that I could get rid of my hair without all the problems that resulted from shaving and waxing, the second reason, because I found it soothing and enjoyable as many others have clearly stated. I think it would be great for all of us to come together and discuss ideas about both controlling the desire to pluck/pick, as well as solutions to our unsightly legs, etc. Please let me know what ya’ll think.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I have actually had laser hair removal done TWICE, from separate doctors and spent around $10,000 without any success.

That is such a shame, since electrolysis on legs is so easy, it is the first thing students are given to do. Most of the time, a first time student is going to be removing hair from her or his own legs, and then someone else, and then it is on to other parts of the body.

I hate to tell you how many tens of thousands of hairs I could have removed for you with $10,000 and 18 months.

Ditto.

More accurately: Wouldn’t you LOVE to tell of how many HUNDREDS of thousands of hairs that could have been removed for that much money and time? (may even a whole body’s worth)

I just feel so hopeless, because I have tried so many different things and have yet to find a solution. And it causes me to hate my legs and to hide them, when aside from the hair/skin issues, I do have nice legs. What should I do? Any advice?

why dont you try the laser therapy or waxing?insted of plucking.

I posted previously that I have actually had laser hair removal done two separate times, both unsuccessful, totaling around $10,000. I’ve also had little to no success with waxing.

I have a question to pose to you all

Would plucking hair on both lower and upper leg make the hair regrowth thinner?

I read somewhere on hairtell that eyebrows and legs are more effective areas to thin out hair.However I am uncertain.I am a male by the way.ohh… I am in my mid twenties.

Would the age be an issue?

Age comes in for the thinning of leg hair as related to getting older. As we age, circulation to the lower leg decreases and hair isn’t nourished as well. Hair needs blood to grow.

Tweezing it may just lead to nasty ingrowns. Are you a good candidate for laser hair reduction? Dense, dark coase hair? A few treatments may be just the ticket.

In some of the previous posts some users commented that this is a form of OCD. I think this is wrong, and would lead many to believe that they have OCD and see a therapist for it- when in fact it is just perfectionist/obsessive behaviour.

It is OCD- if you are plucking hair to prevent the death of a loved one for example. Or if you feel the compulsion to pluck hair so you can control some event which is out of your control (what will happen tomorrow, outcome of some test, death etc.)kind of like compulsive superstition. And it’s usually with doing repetitive things and counting, rather than plucking hair. Usually people with OCD will have a recurrent obsessive disturbing thought and will perform a ritual to get rid of that thought, so in that sense it is different than superstition, as it is an individual ritual that the disturbing thought makes you perform and can significantly interfere with your work or normal life.

There is also a disorder with a similar name “Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder” OCPD, which is confused with OCD, and it is usually obsession with cleaning, lining up things in order, germophobia etc. So I think you might be relating the obsessive perfectionism with OCPD and confusing this with OCD.

I know this is mainly a hair removal forum, but I just wanted to point out the difference. Plucking hair is easily addictive… Kind of like popping bubble wrap! So while it is very easy to get addicted to the sensation, I don’t think it has anything to do with OCD