Laser or IPL what the difference and which one should i use?

Can anyone help me out with my questions? I am being treated on back, neck and shoulders.

I am using the CPL novalight, the red filter and most of my treatment was painful at a program 4 and at the end she upped the settings to a program 5, she cooled the area extensively before she used it then got me, it was considerably stronger.

Has anyone out there had an experience with this kind of machine? Are these settings comparable to what other people are using?

Regards
lawrence

is this the same as the luminex L600 square pulse light?
i am considering getting this done on my face…
am sick of waxing and bleaching

Hey LAgirl and RJC

Could you please let me know if the settings i am being treated at are comparable to the settings of machines that you guys have used. I am using the CPL novalight, red filter, a setting 4 (the machine goes up to a setting 10). I have my touch ups done on a setting 5.

I am aware that if these settings are low than I need to get her to up the settings or if these settings are comparable than i know i am on the right track for a better result.

Can someone please help me out!!

lawrence

I am not familiar with settings on the IPL. But the general rule is the higher then better as long as it doesn’t burn the skin. Do test spots if necessary. Why are you using an IPL on those areas btw?

Thanks LA girl for helping out,
I didn’t choose IPL, i choose a tech and that was the equipment she was using. (not a good reason)

The machine does often burn the hair off, and she has upped the settings as the treatments have progressed.

I haven’t done a test patch, i might ask her to do me a test patch. If i get a test one on my leg, do i just do one zap in a patch and then see the result. Take photos and stuff, do a before and after (something i dn’t do with my back)… everyone make a note to do a before and after so you now where you are heading.

I just feel that i have the biggest swings, it feels like a great result 6-8weeks after the treatment, and then you see all this hair grow back and it gets discouraging.

Ive had 5 paid treatments, and 2 free treatments. I am a skin 3-4, so i will go for a couple more treatments.

Cya all,
lawrence

for some reason there are a lot more posts about hair growing back every time after using IPL machines, especially on darker skin types like yours. that’s why I’m not a fan. you might get better results with diode like LightSheer or a Yag if you have dark pretty coarse hair. The only good results I’ve heard people get from IPLs is when they have type I-II skin and very dark coarse hair, usually on bikini. It’s not very encouraging.

Yes, get maybe 3-4 spots done on your leg at various fluences going up by 5 joules or so every time and then see what the highest one you can handle. if you don’t get any negative reaction from the highest setting out of those, i would go with that setting for your entire treatment later.

Hey LA girl,

I find that the tech can do me one shot of program 5 with extensive cooling before the zap, but the tech would spend hours and hours if she cooled the area that extensively before she zapped every time. So she treats me at a program 4. She spends around an hour and a half doing my back, neck and shoulders. Is that a good time to spend on that amount of body. ( i am not a huge guy )

lawrence

most of the new lasers out there have a built-in cooling system, so that process becomes unnecesary and yes the procedure can be much faster with these other lasers. i would say about 45 mins or so.

It all depends on what you want done. If you are looking to treat hair, spider veins, pigmented lessions then the laser is the best hands down. There have been no clinical papers published that say otherwise. If you are looking to remove discoloration in the face such as photofacials then the IPL is much better.