I think I just made a BIG mistake ( please help )

I personally work most beards with a Size 6, but I have really good visual aid to make sure that I can insert something that large. Size 3 is a standard sized probe. You should be able to get an insertion on that without much problem.
A good rule of thumb is to use the largest size probe that can comfortably fit into the follicle without problems. With my stereo microscope, I could insert probes larger than a 6 on those who have follicles large enough to accomodate them. I have found that most beards take a 5 or 6 using my system, but with a circle lamp a 3 or 4 might be the only one that one could manage to get good use.
Sorry if it sounds confusing, but like most things in electrology, very personalized information is needed for most assessments. That is why we always say, “I would need to see you for a consultation to answer any of your questions.”
Most places will give you a sample pack of probes. Why don’t you ask for a sample pack that gives you one each of the sizes and see what works best for you. At the very least, I would say get a sample 4 and 6. That way, one would know if one needed something just a little bigger, or just a little smaller.

You should work androgen-driven facial hair with a thicker probe. One of the reasons One Touch can actually work is that it’s pretty good for super-thick hairs. Smaller ones are an issue for its thick probe.

As James noted, working clean is essential.

And as I have noted, DIY electrolysis is very difficult and not recommended unless you feel you have no better option.

Please forgive me.
I failed to answer one of your questions in all the rambling I have done previously.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>James, since you mentioned obstructions: When the needle stalls on early insertion, is that more incorrect angle, or is it a hair in a suboptimal stage of growth, such as telogen? Bono advises inserting the needle to anagen depth on all hairs, but my victim finds proceeding past this point rather objectionable. Any thoughts on this? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>First of all, this could be an issue of insertion angle. That would also explain the immediate pain upon insertion that you discussed. If this is the problem, exiting and reinserting at proper angle is the solution.

Secondly, as you travel down the hair shaft, you are first in an area that has nothing but the hair shaft, sebum, and air. This is followed by the “Anchor” that holds the hair in place. In anagen state, this anchor is just the top of the solid protein hair sheath. You lightly push past that and get to the bottom of the follicle. That is, if you have enough experience doing this to know by feel the difference between an anchor, and a follicle wall! If the hair is in a shedding or resting state, the anchor could be a hard ball followed very closely by the end of the present follicle space. Pushing past this point will hurt, as you are going past the natural opening and invading the body.

There are many things an electrologist has to be able to judge by feel alone. That is why I use a stereo microscope. It gives me vision enabling me to see not only the exact follicle opening, but I can see a millimeter or two underneath the skin’s surface, due to the transparency of the skin and the color of the probe.

As the Asian researchers have proven, insertion to, and past anagen depth on every follicle can produce permanent hair removal in follicles that are not even growing hairs yet! It just happens to hurt every time. Most people opt for painless (or as close to painless as electrolysis can come) and clear hair as it presents itself.

Of course, you could just go to Electrology 2000 in Texas. They will give you full on Anesthesia.