How many hours for first clearance of upper lip?

It wasn’t Monday but today (Friday) that we worked another two hours. If the electrologist had told me we’d spend the first 90 minutes performing maintenance on all the previously cleared areas, I would have been skeptical. She was being extremely diligent in keeping everything clear, and I really appreciate it. I honestly didn’t expect this. I thought there might be 30 to 45 minutes maintenance, at most, judging from the little visible growth I could see. This is the reason she uses a magnifier and loupes, and she’s the professional. :slight_smile: It’s also the reason I’m happy with the results.

It required approximately 3.5 hours over three sessions to first clear my upper lip several weeks ago. This morning, it took only 2.25 hours to clear, required lower energy, and almost every hair released much easier after only the first pulse. I think I like this trend, very much. :slight_smile:

…And, it is a trend we electrologists know all so well! Don’t look back.

Thanks, Dee. I’m not looking back!! This week took about 1.5 hours to get what light new growth had occurred on that pesky upper lip. What little redness and swelling occurred resolved within two hours. Each clearing takes significantly less time and causes less redness and swelling. :slight_smile:

do you have a pic of what it looks like when all the redness and swelling has subsided?

This is two and a half days after treatment. There is still minor redness in a few follicles, directly in the middle beneath my nose. You’d have to know just how sensitive my skin is to appreciate this is a fantastic result. (Right-click and “View Image” to see the full-size image.)

looks good, still a bit swollen and red but most has subsided. i’d like to see a pic 2-3 weeks after. do you go each week to get treated? im a male that just wants to hit the upper lip. i dont grow a thick moustache and always hated it anyways since i can only look smooth every 4-5 days. ive been putting this off for years and years. luckily it hasnt gotten any thicker to annoy me enough to get it done but i still want to be smooth 24/7 or at least have a reduction to where i can shave it everyday and be completely bare in that spot. i guess im just too scared of any side effects and dont want to regret doing something so minor in my life.

Yeah, I’m getting two hours of treatment every week. The most obvious swelling and redness subsides in hours, then I’m left with what you see in that picture for about three days.

Isnt that too short of healing time? i wonder if you didn’t touch it for months, would it look completely clear without any red dots or flaws?

I’m having more than just my upper lip treated. Essentially, everything below my nose to beneath my chin. After initially clearing the coarsest whiskers from an area, my electrologist doesn’t re-treat the same area for three or more weeks. Last night’s picture was taken with flash at a distance of about six inches, exposing every tiny detail to scrutiny. When washing my face before bedtime, I could not see any of that detail looking in the mirror, so I doubt most people notice it, either. :slight_smile:

that is true. it was very close so most people wouldnt see that either. besides, you can also cover any tiny spots with makeup or foundation.

BTW, i cant remember if you ever posted it, but are you male or female?

It looks good - and a great clearance.
I understand what you mean when you say its probably not noticeable to others.
When I get home after my session I use a magnifying mirror to check my skin but I know that is not how it appears to others.

issywissy

I’m male, shaving has always irritated my skin, and I’m prone to ingrown hairs. Shaving is so irritating, I typically only shave once every two or three days.

Good evening Caith

Just got to say that your electrologist is doing a great job. Your newest picture is a wonderful confirmation of what a skilled electrologist can do. Clearance is being achieved each time. True, you shouldn’t need another appointment for 3 weeks and soon, that should spread out to longer intervals, with less time on the table. The hair will be softer and less dense later on, as well. Thanks for checking in again. You are very kind to keep posting your information.

so glad to hear you are male because i am too and shaving also irritates my upper lip. the rest of my hair isnt as coarse. even my mustache isnt that coarse but it just is very sensitive in that area i guess. this is why i worried about doing electrolysis in that area, i didnt want to cause any permanent damage to an already sensitive area. would like to see a pic 2-3 weeks after the upper lip if possible. i’d love to be completely bald on my upper lip but i also wouldnt mind a reduction or finer hairs to the point where i can shave it every day or other day and look smooth with no razor burn. currently i can only shave my mustache every 4-5 days to avoid irritation and all. thats why i want to get it done there. keep us posted.

Dee, I hope my photographs are beneficial for others who wonder what may or may not happen to their skin. Because my Irish skin is so pale, fair, and especially sensitive, I think it serves as a great example. Flash thermolysis with an Apilus Senior II is not leaving any more irritation after 24 hours than I would normally experience without having any treatment at all.

As mentioned previously, my photographs are taken using an iPhone with flash at a distance of only six inches, then cropped to present the same area each time. This allows seeing individual follicles, remaining hairs, and any residual inflammation remaining. To use an old phrase, these photos are “warts and all” :o

I can only imagine how much better treatment might be using an Apilus Platinum with Pico Flash. My electrologist has years of experience and great skill. I rarely (if ever) feel her insertions. I never know which hair/follicle she’s treating until the energy is applied to the probe. There’s never any plucking. She carefully tests each hair after treatment and re-treats if necessary. She’s reasonably conservative with her energy and duration settings, balancing time and effort to treat the most hairs as quickly as possible without over-treating and causing problems.

This is the exact same picture from Page 5, so nobody has to flip back to see it.

Wednesday evening, we spent another two hours. The first hour was clearing the few fine hairs remaining growing on my upper lip, then the second hour was getting second clearance of the area beneath my lower lip and on my chin. As mentioned previously, it’s requiring less energy and leaving less swelling and inflammation each time we work on these two areas. Next week we’ll continue with my chin.

Here’s a new picture about 26 hours after treatment, now showing the area beneath my lower lip as well. Yes, there were still some deeply-rooted, sturdy whiskers there. Most of that redness will be gone in another day or two, and it will look more like my upper lip does.

It still seems like a lot of reaction, considering it’s 26 hours after…

This will heal, of course, but do share your picture with your electrologist, Caith.

My electrologist is already reading threads here. (Hi, Margaret!! :slight_smile: )

The high-resolution (5 megapixels) and LED flash of the iPhone4 camera coupled with a camera distance of six inches is over-emphasizing the redness. The reddened follicles beneath my lip are not individually visible from a distance of two feet. There is no tenderness or irritation whatsoever in that area. Adding a spot of makeup to my moisturizer each morning helps cover the worst of the remaining redness.

I really should take a similar picture of some untreated areas on my face for comparison. Then you might understand I live with follicular redness every day, whether I shave that morning or not. My skin is tender and sensitive and my beard is an irritation. I’ve often experienced razor burn worse :frowning: than that picture. That’s one of several reasons my beard is being removed, and I can easily tolerate what you see in the picture for a few days. A week or two later, what little hair remains is fine and pale and much more easily removed.