Help, I am freaking out

There are only five students in this summer session for electrolysis…all women.

I think the rest of them are very timid about working on men or private body areas, none of them even want to know about that aspect, not like me, I keep grilling the teacher about it and she’s not advocating doing genitals at all, she thinks they should get laser done.

I disagree of course and keep asking and bugging.
I’m already working on some of my clients that wanted to be the first and have a few more lined up for the fall. None of them are men although I would certainly do men and any areas they want…heck I would be the only person in town with a newfangled machine that would work on genitals…I think I will charge more for those areas though…naked appointments cost more for waxing so why not for this?

:grin:

Once you really get into it, you will also see that genital work is more taxing on the practitioner as well, and therefore requires an additional charge if for no other reason than to put money towards your chiropractor and massage appointment to follow. You also won’t want to do any work on anyone else right after a genital client either. At the very least, you will require a long rest before doing any more work.

offbroadway: I am so proud of you that you would be open minded enough to realize that men are as much in need of hair removal as are women. I hope you advertise that you do men and I hope you get rich doing it. If I still had my hair I would travel to Canada for your first client. After you finish your training,all of us would like to know how your work progresses; especially in catering to men. Thanks for all the good you will be doing. Incidently does your husband or boy friend frown upon your willingness to work on men;especially in the pubic area? I also think you should encourage men to remove their underarm hair. Most men overlook the wonderful feeling of the smoothness that results.

Barrester:

I suppose I should advertise for the men as well, but I normally don’t advertise in the papers as it’s very expensive and I’ve found it doesn’t really work that well. So I just do display advertising in the yellow pages…never thought of specifically mentioning men in my ads…I might have to do that next time.

Geez I wish you had some hair to work on, it would probably be easier to work on someone I sort of know than a stranger for the first time.

As for the boyfriend, I’ve already worked on his penis a bit (he’s a wimp though) and he has no problems with me working on men…he’s very understanding and not the jealous type at all.
I think my ex-husband would have had a fit though…lol

Thanks for the encouraging words…school will be done very soon, final practical exam on October 20th!!!

Woohoo!!!

Hello offbroadway. Could you tell me the school where you are studying? And How many hours does electrolysis course last and which is the cost?
What machines does the school use? What sort of magnification and lighting do they use? I’d like to know all information about that school that you can give me, please.

Sincerely,

Francisca Rodriguez Ubeda
RN and electrologist
Murcia, Spain

Hi Francisca!

The school is called Gina’s School of Esthetics and Electrology, located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
The course is 22 weeks, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on Mondays only.
It costs $2,700. Canadian.
They use mostly Fischer Compublend machines but they do have some simple Silhouet-tone machines there but they hardly ever get used.
Up until last week they were using circle magnifier lights for esthetics but they just got in a new batch of square lights specifically made for electrolysis, not sure of the specifics on that but they are nice, no distortion in the viewfinder.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Kathy

Hello offbroadway. Could you tell me the school where you are studying? And How many hours does electrolysis course last and which is the cost?
What machines does the school use? What sort of magnification and lighting do they use? I’d like to know all information about that school that you can give me, please.

Sincerely,

RN and electrologist
Murcia, Spain

Offbroadway: Does that school also take men> If so do those men have difficulty with women allowing a man to work on them? I would hate to have to limit my practice to only men if I paid money to go to school to become an electrologist.

There are many fantastic and appear to be quite successfull male electrologists. Females are already used to going to male doctors. If you are good they will come.

Barrester:

As far as I know they take men at my school. There aren’t any there right now though.

I would have no problem with a guy working on me at school but I suspect that maybe some others would, but those are the kind of people you wouldn’t want for clients anyways.

In fact I got into a little problem with one of them, which is very rare for me but she rubbed me the wrong way while I was working on her and I had to leave the room. Luckily it was her last day of school so I didn’t have to deal with her again…but there’s always something or someone that is difficult.
She would be the type to not let a man work on her.

Are you thinking of going to school for this?

:wink:

Just click to ElectrolysisInformation.com and this site should answer most of your questions. If not just email me or us at HairTell.

Thank you offbroadway for your answer.

RN and electrologist

Thank you offbroadway for your answer.

RN and electrologist

I know of one school in particular that won’t take male students. They claim the will if they get a class full of males only, but what are the odds of that? It is patently descriminatory. I have heard other stories like this, from others. What can you expect from an industry where hundreds of practitioners pass up male clients and their dollars? That same attitude filters through to some of the schools. I guess I get some measure of slack from many of these folks because anyone who meets me is most positive that I am neither gay, nor a transexual :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are professional, and the ladies don’t get any bad vibes from you, you have nothing to worry about. Results are what most clients, male or female are interested in. I did not even market my practice to women because I figured that I would be so busy with long appointments with the guys that trying to make room for short appointments for the gals would be difficult. It did not matter, I still got female clients. Many were not even the friends or relatives of the male clients I was treating. They just heard that I existed, and came in.

Sure there are some ladies who won’t see a male electrologist because after all, they don’t want ANY male to know that they ever had a problem with unwanted hair, and certainly don’t want one looking at their problem. Of course, the point goes back to the fact that most women are used to seeing male doctors, and therefore are somewhat less uncomfortable with the idea of going to a guy to have the problem resolved.

I would say that you have nothing to worry about if you just concentrate on becoming the best electrologist that you possibly can. The clients will find you. You need only get some bare faces out there and that will be more valuable than a billboard on the local freeway.

Speaking of bare faces…this is something I’ve done to generate some interest in this subject before finishing school.

I carefully chose two really good clients that would talk about their experiences with their friends and offered to do one body area for the cost of needles…I charge them $5 a session.

One of them is just sticking with this freebie thing and the other begged to pay me to do another area at the same time so I always make some money while working on it. I’m not charging full price yet and she knows I’m still in school but trusts me anyways.

These two have not directly sent anyone to me yet but just from me talking about their experiences to other clients I already have I now have 8 clients getting something taken care of already.
I can see how this will explode when my yellow page ads come out soon as their are only two others that will do g-work and one other besides that in my town of 26,000 pop.

Anyhow, just thought I’d share and see if anybody has any other suggestions for me.

Kathy
:stuck_out_tongue: