Getting used to displaying shaved legs (guywise)

Hi Mantaray

For-running with shaving is not really the main thing, it’s mainly coming to terms with what you think is ashaming you in public. I hope you feel better about your shaved legs now. You are one of a big community of friends and we look mostly the same!

Good Luck
Stuart

I don’t check this forum very often so that’s why I haven’t posted. When I first shaved my legs clean I didn’t hesitate to wear shorts in public, after all that’s what I normally wear. I had been trimming my leg hair shorter and shorter prior to this so maybe the change wasn’t that noticeable. But for me there is no going back.

I work out with weights and being hairless makes muscles look that much bigger and well defined. And you can’t beat the increased comfort.

I’ve never had any negative comments. I have had a few people ask me if I am a cyclist or a professional wrestler, which I thought was cool. I really think most people don’t care. If anybody doesn’t like it that’s too bad. I’ve noticed some women stare at them, which is fine with me. They usually look surprised and then smile. I think either they are just admiring my muscles, or they envy the fact that I have less hair on my legs than they do.

More and more high school and college athletes are going hairless. More and more swimmers, wrestlers, and basketball players have even removed their armpit hair. I think hair removal for men is becoming more acceptable. My practitioner said that 50% of her customers are men.

Stuart, I found shaving my armpits to cause some itching, so I had them cleared with electrolysis. I’m glad I did it. It feels great! Only a few stragglers left.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

I agree that electrolosis is the only way for armpits. I tried shaving, but the itch was too much for me. I trim at the moment to stop the sweaty marks on my shirt, but I need a decent permanent removal of these hairs.

Regards
Stuart

Hi:

This is just some general advice aimed at no one in particular.

If you care too much what other people think of your appearance, your feelings, your opinion or whatever, then you are not living your life as a free individual.

It shouldn’t matter if you shave your legs, armpits or whatever to anyone but yourself. If they have a problem with it, then they are the ones with the problem.

If you are not gay, then don’t get hung up on others thinking you might be. If you are gay, then that is OK too, it is really nobodies business or anything to be ashamed of.

I happen to be TS, but I am not gay. I don't care if others think that I am gay either. I shave because I like to. 

I used to be self conscious too, but we have to be who we are, and not care what others think of us, or else we are living their bigotry and not our own lives.

Alicia

Hi Alicia

Yes you are quite correct. Our bodies are our own and if we shave them or not that is our business. I have come to understand that sport is one reason for shaving in what is considered unusual places for men (for example), but a lot of guys also do this because it looks and feels better.

Since ancient times in our recorded history many cultures shaved or plucked out hair for formal occasions or for reasons of status (Egypt & surrounding areas 2 to 3 thousand years ago). This was often coupled with oiling of the body for maximum effect (and maybe sunproofing). This tendency was particularly amoung young powerful men such as princes and pharoes in northen Africa.

We have evolved into a society that I believe is changing back to men displaying their bodies as they were ment to be. I.E. we shave off hairs and show the muscular build that we have. Injury in battle also played a big factor in doing this as we see in sports today.

I firmly believe that shaving or permanent hair removal is better than not doing so, and I am much more comfortable physically having smooth legs.

Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart:

I think whether someone wants a hairless body or hairy, it should really be up to them. If that is what they prefer, and it makes them feel better, then they should not let “silly people” disuade them. Sometimes the reaction we expect is just in our imagination anyways. So go for it and be happy.

Some guys shave their heads, some have beards,goatees or moustaches, sideburns, etc…That is all personal preference.
But,that does not mean that all guys have to follow the cattle call.

You should applaud yourself for having the courage to be yourself. Your preferences for body hair are really nobody elses business but your own. They should “get a life” if they think too much about it.

I have spent a large part of my life caring too much what others think. What I am doing, becoming a woman is far more likely to bring me ridicule than you shaving your legs.People have vivid and sometimes sordid imaginations. They don’t take into consideration that I have feelings and I hurt sometimes deeply. Be yourself.

Alicia

Hi Alicia

Thank you for your comments. I wish you well on your changes and I hope you will be happy when it is complete. Fortunatly in my case I have had almost no negative response to shaving as I have discussed before in the forum. I still believe that S.Africa is probably one of the most tolerant countries in the world today (socially I mean)to changes in appearances which may account for why a lot of guys shave their bodies without embarrassment now.

Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart:

Thanks for the comments.

I agree that it should be a matter of preference as to one’s degree of body hair. Some people may find having some hair on men attractive, such as certain women do. But then you have the case of some men having way too much and looking like a fur bearing mammal.

Many men such as body builders,swimmers,cyclists, etc. shave their bodies. If someone prefers the look over being hairy, that is their business alone. It does not infer femininity or any other thing, unless someone has an over fertile imagination and doesn’t mind their own business.
But, someone who makes other peoples appearances their business is nothing other than a bully.

I am glad that South Africa is tolerant of differences in appearance. There are many different kinds of people in the world, with many fashions of appearance. I take them as they are and try not to judge them, since after all they are honest in who they are. Their different appearance gives them personality and character. It adds some color to a world of blandness.

My wife actually likes body hair on me, but I detest it.

Alicia

Hey… I just left a similar post on another forum, but I’m wondering… what is a good way to try and lessen hair on a limited budget? I’m a 21-year-old college student, who just has a lot of body hair that is long and seems to stick out in all directions (I’m a guy) and wishes he had less. It’s very frustrating to recall a few years ago when I just had a little hair and liked it just fine, and wish I still looked like that… but my dad’s really hairy and I’m assuming those hirsute hormones are to blame. I tried Nad’s and found it difficult and painful… I’ve thought of getting waxes in a salon or something, to hopefully have it grow back and look natural and maybe thin out over time… thought of using Kalo inhibitor but don’t think it works… or possibly just trimming? But I don’t want to look stubbly… I don’t really like the no-hair look either… I just want it finer and shorter, I guess. Sounds picky, but I just don’t like having crazy body hair everywhere. And I don’t wanna have to shave everyday. And I’m sick of trying to sift through all these scam products that people sell for this… that’s an emotional issue. Anyway, glad to see there are so many out there who feel body hair is an individual issue and nothing to be ashamed of either way… I still feel even in liberal colleges that it’s weird to want to change your hair… nice that people are supportive. I personally just don’t want to shave everyday or have stubble, and while I agree that excessive body hair is an evolutionary leftover of sorts, I also kinda feel like totally eliminating one’s hair is like cutting ties with evolution and the animal self or something… that’s overdramatic, I know, but I just don’t like the idea of having NO hair all the time and having to maintain that like clockwork. I like a little hair… any advice on this would be greatly appreciated…

Hi Adam:

The hair growth is hormonally driven. But since you can’t change that, you need other methods.

The best would be laser or electrolysis to thin out the hair. But being a student you can’t afford it right now.
But keep it in mind for later on.

So you may want to get waxing or an epilator. It won’t eliminate the hairs, but given growth cycles it should help thin them out. Waxing could cost though, and it may leave them too silky smooth for your liking. You may want to go the epilator route. It will hurt a bit though.

For thinning the best is laser or electrolysis.

Alicia

I think this was a wonderful thread. When I first shaved my legs it was maybe 15 years ago, and it was not at all common for men. I just don’t like leg hair, and think shaved men’s legs are beautiful. The reason women shave their legs is it looks good, and it looks good for men, too. I have always been a runner until lately, when I have taken more to bodybuilding. I have very muscular legs, and extremely muscled calves, very defined. They look very natural shaved, especially as I have extremely light skin. My hair is fairly dark, and I think that is an lousy combination. I always felt I had a sweater on my legs when I woree shorts, though by now I have much less lower leg hair, due to age (I’m 52).

When I began shaving my legs, I was very uncomfortable being in public. I generally only wore short shorts to run, and figured if I was moving and sweaty, who would notice. There were a few times I’d pass people and hear comments like “I never knew men shaved their legs”. I also got lots of “cute legs”, which always made me feel good. As time went by, I got more comfortable with it, and would go out in shorts all the time. I realized very few people noticed, and if they did, they didn’t say anything. A few times I would be trying on shorts in a store, but the comments were generally : " your legs are beautiful" with no specific reference to hair. I really think if you are muscular and shave, people kind of expect it at this point in time. Clearly, in the last few years, many more men shave their legs. One time I remembere being at the beach and a couple of women were discussing my legs, and I realized they were jealous, as they didn’t realize I shave them, they thought I naturally had not hair. They were saying they had to shave twice a dday, then look at the joke played by nature with a guy with hairless legs. I thought that was funny, as it never even dawned on them I might shave them.

A big difference is in the age of people and how they feel about men shaving. At my age, most people don’t expect men to shave, unless they bodybuild or cycle. Women who really think men should be hairy tend to be in their 40’s or older. It seems women in their 20’s like smooth men. It really is just what you are conditioned to like. When I was young, all the men in movies had that “manly” chest hair. Now, they are all shaved smooth, with nice pecs. When I was in Aspen Colorado in the summer, I noticed almost all the guys in their 20’s shaved their legs, and most of them had beautiful, muscled legs from cycling. It was natural and to be expected. Just like in South Africa, the athletic look now includes shaving. I felt I fit right in. In Chicago where I live, there are lots of cyclist and they all shave, but it is not nearly as sports oriented as a place like Aspen.

My biggest problem with shaving has been my wife (soon to be ex wife). She never thought it was natural to shave my legs, or anywhere else, except arm pits, which she loved shaved. Until I shaved them, she would never touch me there, and its one of my favourite places to be touched. She hated my legs shaved, and I never really understood why. She also loves chest hair, but by the time I began to shave it, we were past the point of intimacy, not due to shaving. Funny thing is, she has never, ever noticed I shave my arms. They were not especially hairy, but it was noticeable as my skin is so light.

I would never go back to not shaving, so I guess my future girlfriends will have to like smooth men. At least they will know up front, to be fair to my wife, 30 years ago when we met I didn’t shave, though even then I wanted to.

My wife also is the only person I ever met who thought men who shaved their legs look gay. All the gay men I have known were hairy, and it makes sense that men who like men would also like hair, does it not? I have never had a man, whether gay or straight, ever say a word about my legs. Probably most men don’t look, though I do as I enjoy muscle, so if a guy has muscular legs, I enjoy looking, and much prefer if they are smooth.

Life is too short to worry about what someone thinks about your shaved legs. I don’t even worry about what I would say if someone made a comment, I’d probably just say they look better shaved. I’d rather deal with that than be a fat slob like so many of the guys are. I do think people would notice if a guy shaved his pits, but no one sees them, so who cares. The cool part there is I never smell, and don’t even need deod. I feel clean, and that’s what counts. In summer I am much more comfortable hair free, and I am very intolerant of heat, so that is important to me. Plus, you dry off immediately after a shower, without hair to hold the water.

Hi Veinlover

I agree that light skin and dark hair are a bad combination. I have a similar situation where I am light skinned and blonde haired, except for my body hair and especially the hairs on my legs, which are long and dark. This is one of the reasons my body hair removal started with legs, apart from the obvious benefits to a cyclist. I think smooth legs suit my appearance very well, and from your description you have an excellent build, so there is no reason for anyone to question your choice to shave legs etc. Some things just look better and I believe in that case it is meant to be that way.
Good luck
Stuart

Hi Veinlover

I agree that light skin and dark hair are a bad combination. I have a similar situation where I am light skinned and blonde haired, except for my body hair and especially the hairs on my legs, which are long and dark. This is one of the reasons my body hair removal started with legs, apart from the obvious benefits to a cyclist. I think smooth legs suit my appearance very well, and from your description you have an excellent build, so there is no reason for anyone to question your choice to shave legs etc. Some things just look better and I believe in that case it is meant to be that way.
Good luck
Stuart

Thanks! You know, it really should be that simple. My legs look better shaved, so just shave them. It’s amazing how much emotion people bring to the simple act of a man shaving his legs! It’s been a few days since I shaved them, and I was just noticing they are beginning to look stubbly, as opposed to their usual nice smooth look. THere is nothing attractive to me about leg hair, certainly not on my body, so just like the choice to wear jeans instead of sweats, I chose to shave them instead of leaving them hairy. Others may have a different aesthetic judgement, which is fine, but its not their legs. And the stuff about leg hair being “masculine” is a joke. What about the hair on women’s legs? The only women with legs like mine are professional bodybuilders, so it is unlikely my legs will look “femininne”, shaved or not.

Personally, I feel in addition to the fact that people react to what they are conditioned by the media to like, is the fact that most men do not want to end up HAVING to shave their legs. I think for the typical guy, the idea of women beginningn to be attracted to men with shaved legs would be terribly threatening, as perhaps their woman will expect them to shave as well, and I have absolutely the doubt that the typical male, especially in the US, does NOT under any circumstances want to have to shave his legs. Right now, of course, we are in a kind of enviable position, where it definitely is not expected, but is common enough that less people look on men shaving legs as weird. If over time it becomes expected that men shave their legs, then some of the luxury will go away, though the world will be full of nicer looking leg. Of course, now, the only men who shave have pretty nice legs, whereas if all men shaved, you’d have both fat and skinny shaved legs as well, which might take some of the charm out of seeing men with shaved legs. Today if you see a man with smooth legs, he probably is a bodybuilder or cyclist, both of whom will have well developed quads and calves, which look great smooth and shiny.

Hi:

I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some people and some women like body hair on a man. Some women find it part of a males attraction. But, too much can be a turnoff too.

As far as shaving ones legs, again if you like it and it feels and looks nice to you then do it. Don’t base what you do with your facial hair,scalp hair or body hair be dictated by either homophobes or people who don’t mind their own business. It is what you like and prefer that counts most of all. Obviously some others like it too based on your comments, so don’t even think about any possible negative thinkers who care too much about what you look like.Just ignore them and be proud of your legs if you think they look nice that way.

Alicia

To me, the whole matter of men and their body hair is quite entertaining. I live in a more conservative part of the US, where most men leave their legs natural, except for cyclists and bodybuilders. Of course for men an athletic excuse to shave works great, as that is “manly”. (I do bodybuild). I get nice comments from women, but only on the legs themselves, not the shaving. I do feel if they weren’t shaved, perhaps no one would notice them, however. I do shave my pits, I think pit hair is totally disgusting, I’ve trimmed or shaved them for 20 years. You rarely see men with shaved pits, because I thinnk men think it looks “manly”, despite the fact women probably have more pit hair than men. On the other hand, who is going to see your pits if you wear a shirt? I think I would be self conscious about that, if say I wore a sleveless shirt. I think nothing of my shaved legs, but the pits is more of an issue, as so few men shave them. You will notice, however, a number of pro and college basketball players do shave theirs , as well they should. I hate seeing the disgusing sweaty pits of the ball players, especially some have extremely hairy underarms. I always notice if a guy has smooth pits, as opposed to legs. Of course shaving chest hair is totally acceptable go figure, as long as you leave your underarm hair. Now think about this: chest hair, which its OK to shave, is uniquely male, whereas pit hair is not. By the way, if you want an amzingly sensual feel, shave your pits and go swimming. You just won’t believe how amazing the water feels against your naked pits. The hair shieldds the water from them more than you can imagine, and when the cool water touches your smooth skin, the feeling is totally wonderful and sensual. Of course, swimmers shave, so if you are in a pool and look fairly buff, no one at all will notice smooth pits. Again, go figure. In truth, no one has ever once said a thing to me about them, and I’ve laid out in the sun at pools and such where it is totally obvious they are shaved. Likewise with my legs.

Yesterday I was in a waiting room and was reading Time Magazine. There was full page ad, having something to do with life insurance. It showed a close up shot of a man walking his little toddler boy on the beach. The man was wearing pants rolled up to his knees. He clearly had shaved legs. Smooth as can be. I felt good as I realized that the mainstream put this ad out feeling secure with it themselves.

To my surprise, this thread now has some 4,700 views. It tells me there’s a lot of guys out there that deal with this matter. What do I say? It’s your body, it’s your life, you do what you want.

Mantaray

That is interesting. I think it is just getting more and more common for men to shave their bodies, and I would agree that male models used in ads lead the pac, though they are only shaved if the producer wants them to be. I think it just plain looks nicer, and it will become increasingly common. Also, shaved pits. Guys on TV shows often shave under their arms, and they all shave their chests. I’ve mentioned elsewhere in the gym I go to most of the men who wear sleveless tops (tank tops, wife-beaters, etc.) shave their pits, which is a good thing, as I hate having to look at men’s sweaty hairy pits as they workout. Plus, many of the guys in the gym shave their legs, and no one seems to make any comments. I feel totally comfortable there with my smooth legs. I also shave my pits, but don’t wear sleveless tops, so no one knows.

Hi Mantaray

Very true, it’s our lives and we must do what we feel to make ourselves feel better. Shaved legs on a guy harm nobody and as such deserve acceptance in modern society.

Regards
Stuart

Hi Everyone!

Just discovered this great thread! As has been said so many other times in the shaving forum as well as now–“we’re not hurting anyone and whether one shaves his legs or not should be an individual choice.” I think the same SHOULD hold true for women and whether or not they want to shave. We get so many “norms and stereotypes” about what people “should do” or “not do” which can really make “doing your own thing” very difficult.

Stuart, you mentioned somewhere that about 35% of all men in SA shave their legs–that’s great and I’m sure it’s accepted by most people in SA and not considered weird. Mataray, what do you think the percentage of men in CA who shave their legs is? Is it mainly the bodybuilder types or cyclists? Veinlover, you mentioned that more and more men are shaving their pits in gyms–does the same hold true for legs? Again, is it only the super muscular types or just “average” guys too?

I’d really like to see society get to the point to be more accepting and stop dictating what individuals should do and not do. Maybe, we’re getting closer to this point with the increasing number of athletes and actors who do some form of body shaving and aren’t afraid to display themselves in public. You would think that more companies would have thought of this as a way to increase their profits and start really pushing products like the bodygroomer by Philips. Cheers!

Actaully more guys in the gym appear to shave their pits than shave their legs. Sometimes you can’t tell with legs, though, unless you look close, which I’m not inclined to do, as some guys have little leg hair, but we all have pit hair. There are lots of guys that shave both, however. And, guys with shaved legs with t-shirts, so who knows if they shave their pits or not. And, of course, there are those with sleveless tops and totally gross pit hair as well. Most cyclists probably don’t shave their pit hair, but do shave their legs, and I assume some of them also workout in the gym. I cannot imagine why a guy would wear a sleveless top and not shave under his arms, but I’m sure some guys think it’s sexy. And, maybe some women do too, maybe they think sweaty pit hair is “manly”, though they could have it too if they wanted it.