Feedback 1st Electrolysis Treatment

Good morning everyone,

I am a 24-year-old guy with more than average hair growth in my facial/neck area. I have previously been trying hair laser removal without any long-term luck. Since I know that electrolysis is the only option of hair removal that is considered permanent, I have now decided to go for it and finally remove those unwanted hairs.

I just completed my first treatment yesterday with a certified electrologist. Since I currently have limited knowledge about electrolysis, I do have a few questions about the whole process:

1. How many hairs should a normally efficient electrologist treat per hour?

2. Speed wise, is the galvanic method as effective as the other methods?

3. I know it varies from person to person, but how many hours or how long does it usually take from the beginning of treatment to the completion of treatment?

Attached below are two images showing my side neck area prior to the first treatment and my side neck area 24 hours after the first treatment. As illustrated in the images, the electrologist did only manage to treat 75% (or about 35-50 hairs) of one side of my side neck during a 1-hour treatment session. In order to make sure of the electrologist’s efficiency, I also have a few questions concerning the treatment:

1. Should the electrologist manage to treat a larger area than 35-50 hairs during a one-hour treatment? If so, how many hairs?

2. In terms of 24-hours after a first electrolysis treatment, does my side neck area look normal?

3. Would higher current settings speed up the whole treatment process?

I apologize for the long post. Nevertheless, all responses and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Electrologists work at different speeds, using different modalities at different intensities, so l can only attest to my personal experience. My electrologist primarily uses blend, which is, for her, upwards of 350 hairs per hour depending on her performance on the day. Thermolysis could be double that amount per hour, and galvanic, which is awfully slow, could amount to 60 hairs per hour. I’ve seen electrologists who claim wildly varying speeds for galvanic, though there are several factors to consider (such as whether the electrologist who is speeding through treatment is actually accurately and successfully removing the hairs).

Specifically regarding galvanic, it is as effective as other methods, but the speed is totally unacceptable for me when thermolysis and the blend can produce often equal or comparable results. I am having the same area treated currently, and I could accept being treated with galvanic if we were down to the last 5% of hairs in total or if we were treating specific difficult hairs. Was there any reason she suggested beginning with galvanic? If an electrologist had suggested starting my treatments with galvanic, I would have left immediately and found another. This is my personal feeling as a consumer, though the electrologists here may disagree with me.

The total number of hours is also incalculable for us personally, though your electrologists should be able to provide an estimate based on past experience and an assessment of your circumstances. Several treatments are required over a period of 12 to 18 months. After 12 months, the hairs that remain on me are very sparse and hardly noticeable.

Your skin in the treated area appears very normal. Keep the area clean and hydrated. You can use witch hazel or aloe vera if you have easy and affordable access to it, though keeping it clean with water and soap is just as beneficial.

Higher current settings could speed up the process, but your electrologist has to consider several factors, including your pain tolerance. If you’re prepared to continue receiving galvanic treatment with your current electrologist, you could discuss this with her.

oh gosh. I’m going to let my cohorts have a crack at this, as I am working all day today, but I will say none of your questions are answerable as you have asked them.And scurvy has made some first class comments!

May be you will find answer of some of your questions reading this

Overtreatment? constant redness and changed texture of the skin

Thank you for your reply! Are you suggesting that the fastest method is not always the most effective method?

Thank you for your very thorough reply! Unfortunately for me, electrologists within my geographical area only practicing the galvanic method. Although the galvanic method is proven to be slower, would you suggest maintaining going to my current electrologist or seek alternate treatment options such as hair laser removal?

If you find the treatment causes itching and redness, I have found putting Calamine lotion on treated areas the best- it settles down the redness quickly and stops the itch instantly. I have used many other creams but Calamine is the best- only downside is that it dries to a pink-ish powder so going to the Ball is out - I mostly slather it on while watching TV and before bed.Its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic along with other things. Shake the bottle well.

Laser may have some effect, but it will only be a reduction. An ideal treatment area for laser is typically much denser and darker than the area you want to treat. I would not recommend laser in this case.

Electrolysis is your only option for permanent removal. If you’re only doing this small area, I would continue with your current electrologist since this is your only option. If you’re willing to travel, there may be more electrologists in other cities who can help you. This option is difficult if you don’t have a lot of hair to treat or the funds to travel.