Electrolysis

Sorry my post was misleading–I’m still going every week because I added more areas. For my lip and brow I would not need to go every week but I added sideburns, on which I have not yet achieved clearance. However, because I’m going every week, I feel confident that the lip and brow will be completely done soon.

I have been getting electrolysis since August but the sideburn is only within the last 1-2 mos

Yes, adding more areas explains the time part. Thanks for clarifying that. That’s why having that information in the signature part for all to quickly glance at saves time and helps avoid misunderstandings.

Thanks AMH,

Dee

hi every1, just had my 7th session of 1 hour on sides of face, neck and she took a few from upper lip area. she only spent maybe 10 mins on lip as very painful indeed especially on centre area, so still quite a few finer hairs to take from upper lip and my eyes were watering. sides of face look fully cleared now but still have under neck to clear - not many there though. The last time I went for a session I never got any scabs after the treatment and when I asked my therapist today she said she did tweek the machine a bit and thats why i.e turned it down. ok keep you posted see ya soon

just another update - went for 8th 1 hour session on Wednesday. she did sides of face, neck and chin and prob took about 6 hairs off sides of lip area. sides of face now look great - close up in bright light I cant see any hair. I can stil see some hair but very few on neck near chin. Need her to clear some of those finer hairs on centre of lip (not sure if I am being too fussy though) but I can see the hairs in bright light so I would like them to be gone. Skin reacted fine, hardly any scabs just notice I get a few pimples when I have electrolysis done. Got another session on Wednesday, cant wait!

Hi every1, went for my 9th hour session on Wednesday. this time she was moving my face about quite alot, due to her removing just the finer hairs now and she needed to find them. I guess we can say I have complete clearence now on sides of face. I can see 3 or 4 very fine hairs on neck area (just looked now), there is still some fine hair on upper lip but she just takes a few hairs from there every time I go as it really hurts (eye watering)and they are very fine hairs so not too worried about them being noticable, and this time I asked her to take some hair from lower lip area too. My face reacted really well just a few scabs on lower lip area. Going back on Saturday just for a touch up on face and asked her if she would have a go on my boobs. so far I am really happy with my treatment. looking forward to seeing how the new growth will come on. Keep ya posted

went in again for 10th treatment today but she only did about 25 minutes in total. She took some hair from under neck area and a few from sides of lip and again lower lip. As the hairs are finer on lip area she used her magnified mirror to get them normally with the face she just moves the light about. She also mentioned on my next visit she wants to play with settings of machine as she wants to avoid any scabbing on my face. She then took the obvious hairs from boobs - they went very red and lumpy so she stopped after about 7 minutes on each side. Its been 9 hours since treatment and all redness on boobs has gone down,so cant wait to go back for her to treat finer hairs in that area. I am loving my technician I feel really safe in her hands.

can anyone answer why this time I have a few red marks under lip area from last treatment. I had the treatment one week ago and it was the first time my therapist did electrolysis on my lower lip area. The area went very red as my therapist must have have removed 12 hairs and then she stopped. The marks are red in colour, very tiny pin marks but now (a week later) just seem to be turning brown in colour. My usual scabs normally go within a week but these were different. Were the settings too high? Or the area just more sensitive? Im not due to go back for another session for another week. My therapist did say on the last session she was going to tweek the machine next time so as to avoid the tiny scabs that I get. Could I be drinking too much water, as I do go well hydrated? your comments much appreciated :slight_smile:

Okay, a couple thoughts. The hairs on the under lip are very shallow for the most part. Perfect insertions are needed especially here and it is helpful if an insulated probe is used as well. Intensity needs to go down and since she is aware of this outcome, she will do some tweaking. If these hairs are tiny, tiny, tiny hairs, two items are needed: excellent magnification and the right size probe to match the hair diameter. She must be able to see the follicle opening with no doubts. We are not in the business of guessing where to probe for a hair. Vision plays a huge part as far as skin reaction goes.

Are you using witch hazel, aloe vera gel during the day and tea tree oil at night?

Keep tight communication with your electrologist because she can serve you better and she can learn and perfect her skills.

Dee

thanks Dee for your comments - I will let her know but I am sure the marks will still be there when I visit her again next week, so she will see herself. will keep you posted. thanks

Sounds like you found a good person to treat you. Keep up the good work. You’re in good hands.

And yes, every time there is any concern, definitely mention it to your electrologist first. She’s the one who can make adjustments to avoid side effects the next time around and sounds like she’s willing to. So that’s great.

Hi guys, just a catch up. On monday went for my 11th session of 1 hour on sides of face, chin, neck, lower and upper lip area. She concentrated on sides of face, then neck and chin and did a few hairs from lower and upper lip (she doesnt take too many from upper lip as my eyes always water!!). Its been two weeks since she touched sides of face and I could see there was new growth although the hair does appear to be finer from when I first went to her. She removed most of hair, but since coming home I can see a few hairs still on lower sides of face, but I think I am getting fussy as they are really finer hairs and I can only see them really close up to the mirror under bright light. Gosh we remove the obvious hairs then get stressed over the finer hairs that are left!!! Anyone else like this? This will now be the real test for me as it will be three weeks until my next appointment as my technision goes on holiday - yes totally gutted. I think I can now space my appointments for every two weeks but three weeks seems a bit scarey. anyway there is a little pigmentation on lower lip from last session of two weeks ago. She changed the settings this time as she wanted to see how my skin reacted, basically to see if I dont get the brown tiny scabs. My skin is fine just feels a little lumpy on sides of face, will prob notice any scabbing by tomorrow if I get any. I am using my Aloe-Vera gel too. keep you posted.

Thanks for the information. All sounds good. Just clip or shave any new growth that appears before you get back on the table. And Yes! once the big hairs are gone, the client starts to notice the next level of hairs and wants them removed as well… :o

yes I have a small amount of tiny scabs again even though she changed the settings. But less this time. Keep you posted

Those tiny scabs are of no consequence. Keep it going…

It is my understanding electrolysis is covered by national health insurance in UK if it is medical not cosmetic. Check it out.

What the national health service deem as medical is quite contraversial.

For example, they will pay for the surgical operation that MTFs have to of course undergo, however they deem the removal of facial hair via electrolysis as cosmetic.

So there is a high likely hood that the NHS will not fund electrolysis. The major problem is that electrolysis is unregulated so is seen as a complimentary beauty treatment in the eyes of those unaware of what it can actually do in both the right and wrong hands. Even more ironically, despite the UK’s lack of regulations regarding electrolysis, our ones on the use of lasers are one of the strictest.

Kind regards,
Benji

Yes …Strict according to FDA regulations, however, only one state allows non-medical people to do it and their wording is so loose that you can interpret it any way you want. I have NOT heard of any special license issued for laser technicians but I can not keep up with all of them. FDA requires the doc to supervise the procedure. FDA regs are the same for our machines. Look at the ads by Fisher and you will see the FDA regulation quoted in each ad If you look it up to “supervise” means to “oversee”. This can not be done from another room or over the telephone. The fact that many operators and business have given it up and closed their business, I should think, is proof that something has gone wrong here. It is no difference than “permanent reduction” as opposed to really “permanent”. New “interpretations” were made for convenience by those who have a vested interest. Websters dictionary is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to definitions.

Why aren’t the insurance companies issuing malpractice insurance for laser operators? There are no licensed schools to teach it. Those who do teach it are not that well trained either because there was no one to teach them. Now the use has expanded to include skin tags, wrinkles, scars, and so on. This is SURGERY any way you look at it. Some have gotten away with this but it can not continue forever. GREED is a powerful motivator. I gave up electrolysis rather than use a laser and I worked with a Board Certified Dermatologist for 10 years, until he died. At no time was there ever any idea to include laser treatments in the office by him or me. I agree with him. I bet if any of you professionals needed some laser treatment for any reason at all you would seek out a plastic surgeon for yourself because deep down inside you know there is a difference. Who else would you go to?

You will find that often what insurance covers depends on who is getting paid.

In Canada, insurance used to cover electrolysis regardless of who did the work. When doctors got greedy and wanted to eliminate payments to non-doctor operated electrolysis operations (some doctors had taken to opening shops with low paid, lightly trained people doing fulltime electrolysis, but the better work was being done by those who had more training experience and skill). After the lawsuits and political wrangling was done, the government took the opportunity of the issue being opened to change in order to take away payments to anybody! The doctors all closed their electrolysis rooms, and the nation had to start paying for hair removal out of pocket.

Meanwhile, in the US, insurance will still cover it, as long as it is the doctor who is getting paid for it.

Lefty - more misinformation bashing laser in your posts as usual.

• FDA doesn’t require MDs to supervise laser in all states

• And yes, there are licensed schools that teach laser.

• Most MDs are not any better at laser. They’re usually worse because that’s not something they do 24/7. You need experience to be good at it. Just like you need experience to be good at electrolysis. It’s almost like saying that MDs are better at electrolysis just because they’re MDs.

By the way, this is an electrolysis part of the forum and a question about electrolysis. But thanks again for taking the time to bash laser here with absolutely no reason, especially since you constantly post misinformation in this subject that you know very little about.

MY GOD!!! ALL OF THE ABOVE STUFF HAS GONE WELL OVER MY HEAD!!!

Anyway back to my treatment…

Going back on the sofa next wednesday for my electrolysis and cant wait-defo ready for my next treatment. 3 weeks was too long to wait, the hairs that have come back on my face are mainly finer with about 30 to 40 medium texture but long hairs on either side of face and some under neck area also. I hope she is able to get rid of most on my next treatment of one hour. One thing I have noticed since my skin is fully healed from all treatment (except for a little discolouration) is I havent had any spots this week, I am pretty certain the treatment does give me spots - not sure why? I always get 2 or 3 lumpy spots on about day 3 after treatment. Not a major crisis though as I’d rather be hair free! chow for now