Electrolysis vs Laser removal

As I have said elsewhere, I understand that electrologists who see past laser clients can’t help but be biassed, after all, why would someone who had laser and was happy with the level of hair removal they received come to us in the first place? The story I get from the clients I have treated is that they are delirious with their results at first, and slowly get more frustrated.

Just this year, I have one person who did 15 treatments with laser and has a full face full of hair 5 years after the loss of all that cash and healing time. A second client I am now seeing had as many or more treatments, and spent well over $10,000 and has enough regrowth that I was called in to “finish the job” even though it has not even been a year since the last laser treatment.

I would hope that the average person utilizing this method gets better than what I see, and yet, my point has always been, one should ask oneself if the gamble is worth it. These are just two people who wish they had it all to do over again, and they did not get any scarring. I have other clients who have gotten scarred for life, and had to come to me for real hair removal to boot.

Oh yeah, and the warrantee on the work usually states a cut off date, after which they won’t give you any “free” treatment no matter how much hair you continue to grow. Check your paperwork, and read the fine print.

I’ve been a bystander for quite a while now and have finally felt compelled to register and reply. I have been an RN for 22 years. I have been using a Candela Gentlelase for the last 2 and a half years. I won’t give an opinion about electrolysis because I have never had it and have never administered it. I find it very disconcerting how many people are stating their opinion, implying fact. I won’t even speak for another laser type because I am only familiar with the Candela Gentlelase. I can promise you this about my laser. We do our best to thoroughly present all the facts about hair laser to every patient. We test patch every patient who comes through our doors (Fitzpatrick I-IV). We don’t treat type V because we refer them to a YAG laser because we know that is the better choice for their skin type. We then follow up with a free treatment on a small area (upper lip, chin, neck, swimsuit bikini, or underarms for example) before our patients decide to pay for their treatment. I have never seen anyone finish in fewer than 4 treatments no matter what their skin or hair type (unless of course they have had laser treatment elsewhere first). Your skin will appear mildly red and bumpy after treatment. If it is blistering, scabbing or pigmenting, your laser treatment is being performed incorrectly. I have had one person who is skin type IV who does not seem to be responding to treatment. Because of this, we have given him the option of money back or continued free treatments. I am truly hoping he will continue to choose the free treatments because I am determined that between changing distance gauge size, energy levels and intervals between treatments that we can successfully treat him. I know personally that I haven’t had any hair in my underarms, bikini and legs for a solid year (except for the gray hairs that number more than I would like to admit!). In any service business there are responsible people doing their best to provide the finest service and there are those who are in it for the money. As a nurse, I have been trained to be a patient advocate. Laser does work. We all have to admit that only time will tell exactly how permanent it truly will be. A word to any of you who are considering laser hair removal—shop around (I guess that’s two words). Any respectable place should be happy to do a complimentary consult with a reasonable size test patch at a few different settings. You should never have to pay at a consult—that is too high pressure. Laser is an expensive endeavor but in my opinion, when performed by the proper person, well worth the price. The goal in my office is to have well informed people who feel content that they are getting what they were told they were paying for. I have nothing to hide and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about treatment with a Candela Gentlelase.

lsrldy
Thank you for posting! I just had my first treatment with GentleLase and your post gave me renewed hope! The person who I am using does a combination of laser and electrolosis & claims wonderful things. I am female with facial hair that I hate & really really hope this works for me! :smile:

in YOUR personal experience:

1. what treatment are you having/had (laser/electrolysis)?

Both.

1. what body area is this for?

I have used electrolysis and laser for all body areas: legs, armpits, navel, bikini area, sideburns.

1. how long (months or years) have you been treated for?

With electrolysis: since 1997, though I never had the chance (because of money issues) to be very consistent and “had” to tweeze between appointments sometimes or even went many months without going to the electrologist, which doesn’t help with the process.
Laser? 3 times, each session 1 month and a half apart.

1. how many actual sessions have you had?

3 for each area with laser, haven’t counted the electrolysis ones.

1. how much have you paid so far?

I don’t want to even think of it!

1. how many treatments do you anticipate needing to reach, say, 90% hairfree?

2 to 3 with electrolysis (but it might result in overtreating the area- causing too much inflammation, so sometimes it is better not to treat all hairs in one session)
With laser, you can never know. Most of the hairs fall during the process, others in the following days, but even then, you still often are left with some patches of hair. After 3 treatments probably 90% of the hair is gone… but in my experience it does grow back (at least new hairs) in those areas, little by little, after some months.

1. how much more money do you consider you will realistically have to spend to be happy?

I don’t want to think about that anymore neither, I get so depressed over it! :frowning:

1. do you consider yourself a success story?

Hmmm, I am certainly in a better position than when I started, that’s for sure. But I feel so bad that the struggle is still not totally over after all of these years and that much money.

1. do you consider your treatments a waste of time and/or money?

Some of them, yes. With one flahslamp practitioner in particular, definitely

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by poliwog:
<strong>I’m getting the sense that laser treatment may yield greater immediate results, but may not last for the long haul.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>That was my experience with laser.