Connor's Electrolysis Journey

It was :slight_smile:

I’ve had treatments by 7 or 8 different electrologists of varying skill and no one was as good as what I see on this forum. I think your world is a bit more provileged :slight_smile:

smooooootch!

Oh dear LAgirl: on second-thought you’re not incorrect at all — I was! Let me explain.

With every electrology modality, a specific strategy emerges. What “threw me” was you use of the term “clearance.” The strategy I developed (certainly not the only strategy) was based on two concepts: “Clear & wait” and “Advance & Maintain.” Clear & Wait is the strategy I use for body hair. I clear it all off and then wait for the maximum amount of hair to grow in (I look for telogen hairs so I know I’m at the “end” of the next cycle) then clear again.

Your use of the term “clearance” … well, I thought you were assuming all hairs would be grown in, in a month! Yes, I realize that, of course, you know this is not the case. The strategy you were outlining (more like my “advance & maintain) would be “clearing off” the new hairs as they come in — mostly in (early) anagen. And, it’s not a bad strategy — it’s a good one!

Your “Clearance” strategy could go like this (let’s say for Connor). Maybe 4 hours for the first clearance. Then, one treatment every month with a treatment time of 30 - 45 minutes. By the end of the year, you would probably be at the same place I would be using my standard “Clear & Wait.” Again, it’s all about strategy. (I find the Clear & Wait works best for folks coming from out-of-town, since getting to me every month is a hardship, i.e., “three visits and done” is easier than “12 - 18 visits and done.”)

Anyway, I’m the one that should be getting the “spanking,” not you! I apologize, I really do! Indeed, I have discovered that each modality develops its own strategy. Sometimes we forget this (I certainly did at this moment, but then I have “Mad Cow” — so, that’s my excuse)!

You know, somebody REALLY needs to make a publication that unites modality AND the resulting strategy. If we all took a look at this, there would be less misunderstanding and then a genuine realization that “all modalities work in good hands.” The more I learn about my profession the more I understand that it’s actually true.

Metaphor: I used to race kayaks. Some guys had long arms and were tall — they used a long paddle with big blades to take advantage of their “reach.” Shorter guys with shorter arms used shorter paddles with smaller blades. The difference was in turnover. The “Long guys” took fewer, but stronger, strokes. The short guys had a much faster turnover. Their “modality” dictated their “strategy.” Lots of times the smaller guys won with the small paddle and faster turnover! (I never won a single race — ever! I came in 2nd a few times though. But never first!) The point is, we would often argue about long vs. short paddles — but it depended on the guy. One was not better than the other.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Yeah, I agree with LAgirl about the electrologists on this board being far more experienced, knowledgeable, and motivated than any other “breed” of electrologists anywhere else on the planet. Although we are unable to tap into your skill, I (we) still really appreciate the time and effort you guys (LAgirl included!) spend on this forum to answer my questions - that have been asked multiple times before - to assure and advise me. :slight_smile: Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Anyway! Went in for my second treatment May 5th, 2011 for One Hour.

• PLEASE NOTE: These photos were taken on my Blackberry, so the picture quality isn’t the best - it’s only a 2MP camera!

These pictures were about 24h after my second treatment; normal post-treatment redness did occur, and I still have little red “dots”. I think for future pictures I am going to take the pictures with my phone - I like how the phone’s quality is very raw and it displays the contrast between my arm hair and the skin better than the camera, it’s a lot easier to see. Let me know which camera you like more - Blackberry or camera? I’d prefer to keep one for less confusion.

ARM’S TREATMENT #2: 2 Hours, $110 spent

Left Arm:

Right Arm:

> Does not look like much has been done, it’s just because I’m not going a steady clearance; my electrologist is just reducing the amount of hair around my wrist area for the past two treatments. In person, however, the difference is noticeable - just remember to let me know which picture format you guys prefer! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the support, and my next treatment is scheduled for Wednesday May 11th, 2011.

Alright! Week 3 :slight_smile: I got another hour (technically) done on both of my arms. I touched up between my eyebrows for one minute, and then my lower neck for eight - so roughly about 25 minutes on my fingers/hands/wrists. My self esteem and confidence are surely boosting. I can’t wait to see the finished result once I’m all finished with thinning the hairs - though it will be a constant “touch up” until I’ve tamed the growth.

I am going for two hours next week (one appointment Wednesday, and one Thursday), which will be great. My “healing time” for my fingers/hands/arms has drastically improved. No more red bumps and I’m only three hours after treatment. There still is very small red “spots” - those tend to stay for about two days.

Feeling great about treatment. Here are some pictures. :slight_smile:

** I’ve switched back to my camera. I liked the quality a lot more now that I look back at my old pictures, haha.

These pictures were taken 2h after my third treatment. I cropped the pictures on PS a little closer to my arms so you can actually see the “thinning”. My electrologist has done an awesome job. I can almost peel off my long sleeves! TOO excited. :slight_smile:

ARM’S TREATMENT #3: 3 Hours, $165 spent

Left Arm:

Right Arm:

Any questions/comments, just leave them below!

those arms look perfectly fine to me.Not hairy at all!

Hey, I totally agree.

Haha it’s funny how subjective “hairy” is. i would love to have arms that hairless. Yet to Connor he probably goes through the same hair-woes as those of us who are more…apelike