Clients beware (Personal experience + Photos)

I’m not going to try and defend on this as I cant speak for James. I will say that James has been largely supportive of me and I consider him a friend. That said as you surmised there are a lot of things that appear out of place here.

The first thing I’m wondering is if you have even spoken to James about the conditions you encountered? You mention “other issues” but state the conditions are the primary concern . Wherever you are treated, your first step of recourse is always to talk to the operator and discuss the issue. HAve you done this?

Knowing the conditions why did you begin the treatment and then stop?

Why were you in the office in order to take pictures there?

How long ago was your treatment?

Although you categorize electrolysis as a “Medical Treatment” in fact, in about 50% of US states and in all of Canada it is not considered a medical proceedure, and in fact, there are no regulations whatsoever on who or where can perform electrolysis. There are absolutely no laws in place over conditions and I believe that the state of New York is one such place. For this reason I dont believe your complaint will go far. There simply arent any laws to enforce.
I personally wouldnt pay that much up front for electrolysis treatment, and I know many of the electrologists here frown on that practise.
James actually isnt posting here at the moment. From my understanding he has stopped for health issues.

I would like to address some of your concerns however. Tweezers during electrolysis, generally never touch the skin, they are used to grasp hairs above the surface of the skin to remove them. Though I think there no excuse for not working with sterile sealed implements, I would think the health risk from tweezer use is relatively low.
You mention gloves being reused.I’m wondering how you know this? did you follow him into the bathroom before treatment? I know I follow a regular scrubbing and regloving ritual before treating a client.

The "Mould " above the washer dry/er unit appears to be lint from an improperly vented machine ( you can see the empty vent above it) .

I just think there is a lot of unanswered questions in these pictures, and in what you are saying to us.Having no real legal recourse, I would reiterate one of my primary questions, Have you spoken to James about this? Posting here isnt the best way to get his attention, since, he isnt posting or reading here at the moment.

Seana

Electro_client,
I am so sorry that you have experienced this.
Thank you for having the courage to post.
I hope James is getting the right help.

June

Thank you for your thoughtful comments SeanaTG. I understand your affection for James.

Indeed, months ago I did write to James about these conditions and why I felt the need to “hide from him” and return to Germany. I will not discuss these matters that cannot be substantiated and these issues were not part of my complaint (and never will be).

So, yes, I requested a refund of part of my money and, of course, all of this would have been negotiable. James wrote back and refused any further discussion and refused return of any money whatsoever.

Of course, I was also having the expense of a hotel and my travel expenses (Germany). I am not asking for this, ONLY a portion of the unused treatment time money. I would also sign an agreement so that no further action would ever be taken and no mention of this episode ever again to anyone.

As to the photos, I can only say that I am a German and we have a habit of documenting everything. I was in shock at seeing this mess he calls his “office” and I was sending these to my parents in Germany. They wanted me to leave immediately.

The entire episode was frightening and extremely upsetting. I hope you can understand this.

Thank you Cherrytree. I hope other clients can learn from my experience.

Ekk that does truely look awful I’m in the UK and my electrolysis is spot checked by the council she had to close one morning because her boiler broke and her rooms have to be a certain temperature if she was spot checked and they were not they could take her licence away, I have had her not use gloves before but the establishment especially the treatment room is extremely clean.
I do understand that James may have health issues himself at present, however he should for warn you of the current condition of his home before inviting you to come over and paying so much up front.
I know American’s are mad about WWF but personally just seeing that sort of thing along with a belt clearly on display in the treatment room itself does not seem professional to me at all.
I hope that James is able to respond to you regarding his current circumstances and you can come to some agreement.
From reading previous posts it seemed to me that James had previously treated celebs or I just maybe read too much into old posts I’d been lurking on here reading a long time before staring treatment myself, I shouldn’t think you would find any if that establishment looked like that.
I hope James takes the time out he clearly needs and that the pics are not the norm.

I would also say that 84 hours is a heck of a sum to pay up front how what such a time frame come to? It seems a lot of treatment in a short space of time if you have travelled over from Germany even if you are staying a few months you note that you are female and not male or TG which would prefer more treatment than the normal female excess hair issues.
Its scary if all this is true goes to show you should not believe or trust people online.
Hope there’s a genuine explanation.

My point in asking about the office area is unless you were specifically invited to go in there in the first place, you had no business there nevermind taking pictures of it. You dont have the right to intrude into what is generally a private area, nevermind photographing it no matter your nationality. There’s a lot to this story that doesnt add up.If you booked time, and just didnt show up for it, I wouldnt be inclined to refund you either.That’s time that has been put aside for you and which no other clients would have been booked.
You mention conditions, but as you state you were staying in a motel there’s no reason for you to be exposed to anything but the treatment area, an area that I note isnt particularly well documented.

I know james has suffered some time constraints and health issues and with the work he does with marginalized families… They were enough he decided not to post here or practise for a while. I also know he has had various issues with cleaners over time. But what your saying doesnt really seem to add up. There’s no wider shots of the treatment area and what is shown mostly shows he has a lot of wrestling figurines., the one area you would have been exposed to. It almost looks like you deliverately took shots of the most cluttered spaces you could find in the office.
To be honest, there’s two sides to every story, and I dont even think we’ve heard the complete story from your side.I’m not sure what you mean by “hiding from him” but it does sound like you started treatment and got cold feet. This is just my opinion.
My point was there probably isnt any legal recourse. Your best bet is then to work it out if possible with James. Posting pictures of areas of the building you werent even legally allowed to be in, just seems to me like you are deliberately out to create an issue that may, or may not, be there.If the room wasnt suitable, and you stayed in a motel, why were you running around when he wasnt there taking pictures of it?
James may need some help with storage and housekeeping. It’s possible. I just dont think you’ve shown much other than you were unhappy.

Seana

Hi electro client. I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I know all about traveling abroad for long treatment hours and it is difficult enough for both the client and the technician, it must have been horrible going through all of this on top of that.

To be honest, this is actually not the first time I have seen somebody make a thread about their dissatisfied treatments with James Walker. They were quickly deleted at the time and I did not think much of it, but your story has shown me otherwise. I hope that you can find justice in your pursuit, and I hope that hairtell does the objectively right thing and leaves this thread up. I understand that Walker has a reputation here and power as a mod, but this is not right at all and should be allowed to discuss.

I hope you get an answer from James Walker about this, electro client. I’ve seen his answers on this forum and he seems very knowledgeable, but the photos you showed are unacceptable. Seana, even the treatment area doesn’t look very sanitary or tidy. I think if someone did indeed pay that amount of money for treatment and a place to stay, they should expect more than what is presented in the photos.

I do hope this stays up regardless. This needs looked into if it is indeed true.

Seana I see you want to protect James but there really is no excuse for what is pictured.
There are pictures of the treatment room which looks extremely cluttered not just wrestling which are inappropriate I feel in such area but other clutter and the floor is disgustingly dirty.
I also believe if you have your home up for business you should have clean toilet facilities such they be needed which is evidently not clean.
No one should be taking this type of money and running a business if they are not able to keep the treatment and facilities area in a clean hygeinic state.
The fact she was asked to pay for that amount of hours up front also smacks suspicion to me.
I would be careful what you write though in an online forum if you are taking legal action in the UK this can go against you and the evidence with drawn.

You might want to also post this onto James Walker’s page, here on Hairtell? I know many people won’t find it here, and it’s good to have all the information to weigh the pros and cons of a given electrologist…

As some of you know, Michael Bono have problems with his computer, which is why he asked me to copy this text on his behalf:

During the last couple years, I have had two of James’ former
clients. They have discussed certain aspects of his business. I will
not talk about anything, because to do so is “hearsay” and, as you
know, not defensible (read what Helen has said!). I only will talk
about what I have experienced myself and can verify objectively.

(People talk “shit” about me too. So, there it is!)

On this “objective side,” I have communicated with our “German Girl”
and have helped her by directing her to various avenues of grievance
settlement. This is nothing special, I would do this for anyone, any
time … it’s just what I do. My help is not directed against anyone.
EVERYONE deserves to be heard and not “dismissed!”

This “German girl” is very intelligent and credible, but got herself
into a mess by being desperate. I’m always warning clients to NOT be
desperate about their hair problem. Being desperate always causes you
to make the wrong decisions by “believing the impossible.”

This is true whether it’s believing in laser or in an electrologist
that promises what cannot be achieved. How many desperate cancer
patients have traveled to remote places in search of a cure that
never happens? Some magician that does surgery with his hands removes
the cancer and cures you? … in the Philippine islands?

I have to also say that my “new hero” is Helen! She is looking at the
objective data (only) and making the right comments. I “love” you Helen.

This is NOT the time for “conspiracy theories” or defending the
indefensible, diverting the topic or “making this about you!” This
situation is for the two people involved to start talking FRANKLY …
not running from it … settling their differences and coming up with
a good solution that works for both of them.

So, yes, support your friends, but basically SHUT UP and don’t make
matters worse by throwing “nasty bombs” at one party or the other.
This is NOT YOUR BUSINESS! Several of us “regular Hairtell people”
know this story first-hand and are, appropriately, staying OUT of it!

It’s like this: would you “stick your big fat nose” into two friend’s
business that are getting a DIVORCE?

My take on this is that “German girl” is taking this disagreement to
the public, because the other party refuses to talk to her.

My only suggestions to James are these:

1. Clean up the place. This is EASY and will be beneficial to you.
  2. Return an appropriate sum of money to the “German Girl.” Even if a
    client is 100% wrong, you cannot legitimately keep ALL of their
    money. The amount in question is just too much.

I would have to agree that at times I have questioned the credibility of the top contributors on this site, and think that it is a self promoting site for electrologists. Nothing against anybody on here, but sometimes it seems too good to be true. I hope that the people on here are legit and can indeed change peoples lives with hair removal because when I am out of college and have money to spend on it I will be a potential customer. Doubts always come with things that seem so great though especially when it involves a large sum of money. I hate to see things like this story that discourage people including myself from thinking there could be a solution to all of the self conscious and depressed people on hairtell

Correction I don’t think this is a self promoting site but it has definitely crossed my mind

I agree–I really don’t want to think that myself, and it’s clear there’s great information here, but stories like this do seem sketchy! I hope the situation is resolved so German Girl’s problems are addressed and she gets some of her money back…

It’s just so difficult to find an electrologist when you don’t know anyone who’s done it, or talks openly about it… I know people say to “ask for references,” but I’ve found that that’s easier said than done! And in general, I think it’s good to be trusting, but when money is involved it’s always complicated.

Again, I hope this will get resolved.

When I read this thread and saw the photos, I could not believe what I was seeing. From my understanding, James had just returned from being out of state. His facility was being inhabited by homeless people. When he returned to see the facility, and the client from Germany came in, James suggested that for the time being, he work out of a different location. That is all I know.

Since I too have suffered from hirsutism, I too understand the lengths that we go to end the suffering. When people throughout the country contact me for information, I suggest they visit as many electrologists as possible, beginning with those closest in proximity to them. I am wondering, dear electro_client, have you met with HairTell contributor, beate_r from Germany? Even while you are working out these issues with your attorneys or whomever, you still have the unwanted hair. Did you stop treatments completely? How are you removing the hair now?

I am so sorry for your experience and I am so worried about James. I have never visited his office but he has been a great help to many of us in the profession.

I hope that you recover from your disappointing experience and that James recovers from his.

All the best,

Well, I feel I have the moral obligation to intervene in this thread.
Now that I have been able to read the contents of the “ghost post”, I
have to say that I know who Electro_client is. I know because since
March 2014, she has been receiving treatment from me. I’m not going
to make value judgments. I do not personally know James, neither have
I seen how he works, and therefore, I have nothing to say about that
matter.
The person I do however want to talk about, is the person behind the
name of Electro_client.

From the very moment that she contacted me, her behavior has been
truly exemplary. Her politeness and manners are impeccable and
delightful.
I have had very good clients throughout my career, but without doubt,
she has been the best of the best. She has never pushed me to work
faster. She has never told me how I should do my job. She has
religiously followed all of my post-treatment care instructions. Her
most common phrase when I would ask her to choose was, “The choice is
yours.”
From the first day to the last, she has always been punctual. I have
never heard a single complaint in all of the 104 hours of treatments
that we have completed. She is the most accommodating client I have
ever known. This I say from a professional point of view.

From a human point of view, she is a cheerful and fun young person
(thankfully, this experience hasn’t left a trace of trauma in her).
The most astonishing thing in this whole story, is that she still
wanted to trust in an unknown electrologist. This gives you an idea
of her kind nature.

I hope my testimony will serve to stop any kind of speculation about
the motives behind why this woman has decided to tell her story, as
well as demonstrate her exemplary behavior in facing long and hard
hours of treatment.
I can’t remember how many times she has thanked me and has told me
how happy she is.

Anyone who thinks that this girl acts out of a desire for revenge, is
totally wrong. She is much better than that. Her motives are much
more admirable. She is trying to prevent others from making the same
mistake that she did by putting her trust in somebody she thought was
THE BEST.

Thank you for weighing in, Josefa!

When did this incident occur between the client and James Walker?

I prefer not to answer questions regarding “James Case”. I think I’m not the one who should answer.

I want to weigh in on the comment that this is a “self-promoting” site. We are very lucky to have a number of hair removal professionals and consumers like me who volunteer their time to answer questions and educate others about their options. I am very grateful that we have so many fantastic contributors.

I created this site for that very reason. I am a consumer activist, and I am pleased that the site has earned the trust of consumers and pros alike.

Having said that, I do not directly endorse the work of anyone on this site, except for the electrologists with whom I had first-hand experience as a client in the 1990s in Chicago. It’s been over 15 years since I had my facial hair removed permanently. I have not had to have hair removal in that area since.

I allowed the original poster to join and share her experiences because I felt doing otherwise would compromise the integrity of my site. I have had problems in the past with competitors using the site to denigrate each other (in fact, there is a big lawsuit underway involving defamatory comments, and it is unrelated to this matter). This post has been appropriately vetted. I know James stopped posting many weeks ago, but I hope at some point he will return to address the issues raised. I think he is a good person, and I am sure he has his own side to tell. James is one of the most generous of our contributors, having made thousands of posts. He’s been a driving force in the site’s friendly and welcoming tone. I agree with the original poster that the situation she describes is not acceptable, and I hope both parties are able to get everything resolved to their satisfaction.

This site is a platform for people to share their experiences, good and bad. Each of you is responsible for what you post, and there is no editing or oversight unless I determine there has been a violation of the terms of service. I’d like to remind everyone that everything contained here is information, not advice, and that you need to do your own research to determine what option is best for you. No poster designation implies endorsement by me or this site. You need to look carefully at information in any post, including posts by me, and make up your own mind on how to proceed.

I am grateful to the original poster for sharing this, to James for all of his generosity in answering questions here, and to everyone who has replied in this and other threads. I look forward to an ongoing dialogue about all aspects of hair removal!