body electrolysis healing - red spots

Agree with the others to stop shaving.

If the electrologist you are looking to see to remove the ingrowns is the same one who treated the thighs, then I would wait. The shaving definitely has not helped the situation but it could also be that the hairs were not properly epilated. Refer back to Michael’s post above.

Also, I would stop with all the products. Once you stop shaving, things should improve on their own. You could try a body moisturiser containing glycolic acid (15% ish) to help it along but if it were me, that is all I would do.

The only reason so many things say “Don’t do this during pregnancy” is that no one has done any testing, because one can’t get funding to do testing on pregnant women. The liability issues are too ripe for law suits. On the other hand, how many women who didn’t know, or knew they were pregnant and went on anyway, and had electrolysis and had no negative results?

I have done both breast and belly work on pregnant women who had nothing but good things to say. Of course, this is not a scientific study, and my “anecdotal experience” is totally unworthy of consideration in the Ivory Towers.

I have been advised that so long as the method is thermolysis (not involving galvanic), the baby should be fine as it is surface treatment. I believe that this logic makes sense, and I do not think that my baby is at risk. I could be EXTRA careful, but I do think that continuing electrolysis treatment (I started before pregnancy) and ridding my body hair which makes me happier will be better for the baby (because they receive less stress hormones).

I definitely believe that the ingrown hairs are caused by the electrolysis treatment, not the shaving. I waited a long time post healing after the treatment before shaving, and I finally decided to shave because the thighs were still so unsightly, and so removing the hair by shaving made me feel a little better. After I shaved, I realized the red bumps were ingrowns.

Still, I will not shave for several days as you all advised because I do not want to dismiss the advice you all agreed on. Before electrolysis, I would sometimes get razor bumps, but they ALWAYS disappeared after about 24 hours.

The electrologist I see now is not the same one who did the initial treatment–the new one is MUCH more skilled I believe. The previous one really believed in using A LOT of heat, which caused such a long healing time and perhaps the ingrowns?

I think I will see go to my electrologist soon so she can dislodge the ingrowns that are there.

I can believe you when you say the ingrowns were caused by electrolysis.

I think the point is that, if you hadn’t shaved at all since treatment, it would have been easier for the experts to see what had possibly gone wrong.

Let me give you an example. Home epilators claim to pluck out hairs. I used one for many, many years. I can safely say that they broke more hairs than plucked them out completely. One way I could tell is because the hairs would show up again soon and looked shaved - not like tapered new hairs that show up after waxing. This also caused lots of ingrown hairs.

Anyway, do wait (with no shaving) a few weeks before seeing the new electrologist. It will make her job a lot easier if the hairs are grown out a bit.

After any following treatments you have it would be advisable to trim the hairs rather than shave, if you really can’t let them grow.

Sure thing, I will not shave in between treatments when I start them again.

I haven’t had any treatments on the area for 2 months because I was letting the area heal. The first electrologist used heavy heat and it even took the scabs a month to fall off.

I will keep you all posted on the progress.