Aftercare, whiteheads

Hello everyone.

Yesterday, I did my first ever electrolysis session. A bit on the chin, and most of the upper lip. I’m not sure but I think it lasted 30 minutes on the lip, with the blend method.
Once it was finished, my electrologist disinfected the treated area and I did not put anything on it ever since. Nothing before going to bed, I was not at home but at my boyfriend’s so I had no products with me and I was afraid to put something wrong.
So when I woke up this morning, my chin was okay, just two yellow crust on the right side and that’s it. But the upper lip looks terrible, it is still swollen and a bit red, but now I’m covered with whiteheads everywhere on the upper lip. Maybe because I have not put anything on it yesterday.
Thing is, I saw on this forum that washing it is not recommended and the only mild soap I have got contains perfume…
So, I really do not know what to do. Of course I won’t touch the whiteheads, but I have got so many of them, I’m desperate.
I have aloe Vera gel and tea tree oil, that’s it. I do not have witch hazel and here in France, no shops are open on Sunday. Should I apply tea tree oil on the whiteheads before going to bed?
But what can I do to “wash” the upper lip? I have got a Lavender floral water and it contains: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavander) Flower Water, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Aqua(water) and Linalool. Could I use it on the upper lip?

I really need help, I feel lost. Thank you.

Not washing is one of the more idiotic beliefs in the electrolysis world.

Use a nice clean bath towel … hot to warm water and squeeze out the pus. This is not a “pimple” in the sense that it’s “acne.” It’s accumulated post-treatment junk and the sooner you get it out the faster you will heal. If you see some blood don’t panic … the body loves FRESH blood … it’s what heals us.

Use soap and water and don’t be desperate: this is a normal reaction. When you have a “wound” what is your instinct? You wash it! That is the right instinct and supported by all medical authorities. Forget the lavandula angustifolia or flower oil … just WASH IT!

Hi Marg, welcome to the forum.
I can understand your worries if the practitionner didn’t explain you this normal and expected consecuencies of electrolysis.

Do not worry, these little white capsules are completly normal. They use to appear the day after electrolysis treatment. Simple wash with normal soap and it will gone.

Maybe Michael Bono you could do a new video about this “false whiteheads” ?

Thank you very much for your answers, both of you.
I got really well advised by my electrologist, the thing is that I’m a huge stressed person.

Thanks for this advise Michael Bono, but won’t I get scars if I squeeze them? That’s why I’m afraid of touching them.

I wash my upper lip with soap and water, I’m not using my hands when I do that but cotton, and then I apply fresh and pure aloe vera coming straight from the plant I have got. Is it good enough as an aftercare? I feel like “the less is more” is good for me… Well I hope so, cause my upper lip is still quite swollen and red where the “whiteheads” are.

Thank you.

I was certain your electrologist well adviced you. Keep washing the face with normal soap. Do not squeeze, just washing gentle and that’s it.

Swelling is completely normal as well. So do not worry.
Aloe Vera is a very good aftercare too. Good job!

So far, I’ve never heard that squeezing causes scars. I squeeze and rub too … “get the shit out!” All the worrying and stressing is silly … nothing is going to happen, so just stop it!

People should focus on exactly WHAT constitutes the pustule … not what to put ON the pustule. If you understand what’s going on then the solution is clear.

And yes, a video is forthcoming. I just got side-tracked by all the other stuff going on. I finished up the illustrations and have some good photos … I just need to film my old stupid FACE talking about this “endless problem” (that is not a problem).

1 Like

I have now totally completed a trans-woman’s beard (a really big one). At first she had terrible acne and lots of big fat pimples. Sometimes the electrolysis seemed to cause a few pustules here-and-there. The patient had NO WORRIES because I gave her an explanation!

However, I’m sure that these pustules were gigantic compared to what “Marg” is talking about.

Now, the beard is gone and so is the acne … 100% gone. Beautiful skin and now the client is living “full time.”

If a patient cannot accept the normal after-effects of electrolysis, then I will not work on them any more. If they continue to be stressed and in a panic about nothing … then, electrolysis in not for them!

Marg, the point is that nothing is wrong. The solution is simple and there is nothing to worry about. If all this causes you stress and you cannot accept the explanations then perhaps you should consider another option for your hair removal.

1. pustules sometimes happen. Nothing went wrong.
  2. pustules do not cause scars.
  3. wash them out and some squeezing is just fine.
  4. a little blood is also just fine.
  5. don’t put anything on the skin. Well you can, but there is no need and NO PRODUCT is going to do anything.

If you cannot accept these facts … just wait, because the pustules will go away whatever you do. If you continue being “freaked out” … don’t do electrolysis, because you are driving yourself crazy for no reason.

1 Like

Here’s a "hint’

Let’s say you get a "splinter’ in your skin (a tiny piece of wood). What would you do? Would you just look at the splinter, worry about it … and put lotions on the thing? Or, would you wash your skin and pull-out the splinter if you could?

Of course, the skin will eventually push out the piece of wood. But pulling it out would be best … and just washing and keeping the skin clean is correct. A little blood … no problem, THE BODY LOVES BLOOD.

Your pustule is exactly like the splinter. The pustule is just dead matter (dead follicle tissue) that the body is dealing with. Get rid of it and the skin heals faster. Slathering lotions on the pustules is pointless and downright stupid. I know people insist on putting shit on their skin … but this only risks skin reactions and infection from the lotions and potions.

1 Like

Thanks for these answers.
I do know that these things are normal reactions, my electrologist told me so. But I have so many of them on such a tiny area, I freaked out. I thought I would have two or three, not more. Now that I know that even a lot of them is normal, then I do not worry about them anymore.
The only thing I am doing right now is washing the area with soap and putting aloe Vera, that’s it. My daily routine on my face is washing it with a biological cleansing gel and then I apply pure flower water with a cotton. That’s it, nothing more. I never wear make up. And when I get acne, I apply 5% benzoyl peroxide on it. I am not an adept of chemical products in my everyday life, so I won’t change my habits for the aftercare electrolysis treatment.
I’m pretty sure that “the less is more” is the best concerning my face. And I hope it will work even with electrolysis.
That is why I was looking for advices about these “whiteheads”, because I did not want to put shitty things on it.

I appreciate your answers.