Addiction to tweezing my chin hair.

Interesting subject. Not sure of the of point of piping in 3 years later but what the heck. I recently started electrolysis. This exposed to me my near compulsion to tweezing. I also have had bad chin days due to overly aggressive plucking. Bumps and red marks. Luckily when I do that, it usually freaks me out enough that I back off and stop being so aggressive. I don’t think it ever went as far as scaring.

After I scheduled electrolysis I was instructed to stop tweezing. Not being able to pluck drove me crazy. I think for me it’s a habit and near compulsion triggered by the stumbly re-growth. I remember grabbing tweezer and mirror and pulling gently at some of my chin hair, especially the ones that were still somewhat trapped by the skin. I even pulled at some fully emerged hair, stopping short of pulling it out. It alleviated the need somewhat. Although I couldn’t stop feeling the prickly stubble in one particularly annoying spot. Drove me nuts and I was counting the days to my appointment.

After my appointment, I bought a pair of little blunt scissor designed for clipping nostril hair. It seem to work fine for trimming my chin hair. However the stubble it leaves behind is near intolerable to me. So finally I resorted to shaving one area very carefully . I was surprised at how smooth the area became and that instantly killed most of the compulsion. I’m monitoring to see what will happen and will switch to shaving if nothing untoward happens with the re-growth. The jury is still out but if everything is fine, l’ll wish I had dared shaving years ago. The lack of stumble seems to kill the compulsion dead. The rest is just habit and will fade as I stop indulging it.

My clients have compared the challenge of ceasing to tweeze with quitting smoking. It looks like you came upon the best solutions on your own Martine. That is exactly what I did about 3 decades ago. I went from tweezing (and waxing), to trimming to shaving. The shaving left the skin feeling very smooth so much so that I was tempted to shave my entire face BUT I was warned to just shave the area that had the densest growth, in my case, it was my chin.

Any shaved area will cause the hair to feel stubbly as those hairs begin to grow with a blunt edge; prior to shaving, the hair growth is softer with a feather like tip.

I am very late to the party here but I cannot tell you how exciting it is to read the stories on this particular topic and know I’m not alone. I have been suffering with chin hair plucking for years now and lemme tell ya, it can get UGLY and it’s not because I have OCD or for the challenge/satisfaction of getting the hair out! The only reason I spend an hour a day, first thing in the morning doing this, is so I can leave the house with some level of dignity! I’m 47 so it’s gotten worse ( the number of hairs a day are about 40) but the coarseness and determination to stay in the skin is what has changed. I have gone to alarming lengths to remove a tweezed failure that left the little hair too short to tweeze calmly. So I’ve gone in with needles to pry it out from under the skin surface to begin tweezing again! Every time I win, get it, even if what I’m left with is a crater to deal with and pigmentation and scarring! It always heals and I use Acids and scar cream to get it back to normal and you wouldn’t even be able to tell I’ve hacked away at my face for years! Okay, so lemme clarify what I mean by winning. I say that not as some psychological need to feel better but I have found that if the hair breaks off mid tweeze, the zit that follows two days later in its wake, is almost always alleviated if I mange to get the whole hair. So don’t start with the ocd nonsense again. :roll_eyes:It’s bc I don’t make a habit of digging regularly even though I do pluck daily! I touch my chin at night while watching tv and when I feel the little stubbles growing I get up immediately and pluck it out but it doesn’t matter bc twenty more are waiting for me the very next morning!! They are relentless! The paulas choice bha toner has really really helped with sloughing the skin so I can get the hairs easier but I have course black chin hairs on top of fine peachy fuzz too. I use nair for the full face but the black hairs are sooo stubborn they need a plucking and if they haven’t popped through, you can see the little black dots ( like a guys beard ) where they’re going to come through and I can sometimes just rub the skin a little bit in that area and get the hair to pop out so I can tweeze. Oh yah, I’m a professional remover at this point! I am researching those at-home laser removers today to finally get this more under control (yes, they’re expensive but better than having to run off to an appointment every week). Also, when someone has a real issue like hair growing on their face that makes them embarrassed, forcing them to deal with the issue daily, telling them to research ocd forums isn’t going to make the hair stop growing! It’s like telling someone whose trying to clean up their dogs runny dog crap off the sidewalk to research grain free dog foods and a raw diet instead of handing them more poop bags or newspaper’s! You’re NOT HELPING!!!
I would appreciate any info on hand held lasers that have helped others with this issue bc as we get older and our eyesight fades, things are going to get much worse!!

1. Stop plucking.
  2. Find professional electrologist. Nothing else will work.