Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#125858 - 02/24/18 01:48 AM Gentle lase max pro settings
Alex7 Offline

Hi there I’m a skin type 1-2 the clinic I use uses this machine and the past couple of treatments they’ve changed the spot size or joules and are treating me with 11 joules and saying that it’s just as effective as the 18 joules with the other spot size. Though I have noticed it’s not because I get more regrow this. What are the correct settings so I can tell them what I want specifically because the 18 joules setting worked better for me.

Sponsored Links
#125933 - 03/02/18 11:06 AM Re: Gentle lase max pro settings [Re: Alex7]
melb_aussie Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Upwey, VIC Australia
The smaller the spot size (mm) the higher the fluence (j/ cm^2)
The setting is always flexible depending on how the client feel in each session.
Rule of thump: Look for perifollicular edema few minutes after firing

For more info please visit my facebook Upwey Laser. I posted info that clients should be aware there.

#126108 - 03/26/18 09:04 PM Re: Gentle lase max pro settings [Re: Alex7]
Janna Offline

The fact they define the fluence as Joules per square centimeter implies the spot size doesn't matter. Lowering from 18J/cm^2 to 11J/cm^2 reduces energy delivered per square cm regardless of spot size chosen. 11J/cm^2 will obviously be less effective at vaporizing hair than 18J/cm^2.

In other words, if the spot size covers 1 square cm at a setting of 11J/cm^2, the machine must emit 11J of energy. If the spot size covers 2 square cm, the machine must emit 22J of energy at a setting of 11J/cm^2.

Also, larger spot sizes have deeper penetration because of how light refracts under the skin. So even if they switched to a smaller spot size and kept J/cm^2 the same, smaller spot will be less effective on deeper hair.

Here's a research study showing larger spot size was 10.3% more effective. So I would ask to switch back to larger spot. If they won't, at least switch back to 18J. Either way, your tech is either trying to cheat you by claiming 11J smaller spot is the same as 18J larger spot, or they need to be educated how their machine works.

Edited by Janna (03/26/18 09:10 PM)

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Electrolysis/Laser Feet, opinion - pic attached
by zapmyface
1 second ago
Feeling Sad
by Michael Bono
Today at 12:40 AM
Excessive Lymph During Treatment?
by Julie Jacob
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Blanching
by dimi
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Old dudes ...
by Josefa M. Reina
Yesterday at 12:46 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9672
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3405
Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod