Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#119097 - 07/31/15 01:57 PM Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse?
markdbruce Offline
Contributor

I have a question about Depilatory creams.
Do they make hair growth worse the more you use it?
I'm asking because I'm a man and i have used it 'down stairs'
quite a bit and have noticed more hair growing after a long
period of time not using the cream?
I know it isn't supposed to be used there but it hasn't caused
me any harm.

Sponsored Links
#119101 - 08/01/15 10:12 AM Re: Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse? [Re: markdbruce]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Any irritation or "assault" to the skin may cause hair to grow to protect the skin. We see increased hair growth after a person has been wearing a cast for 6 weeks or more, as an example.

Depilatory use certainly qualifies for the possibility of increased hair growth. It is a harsh chemical that dissolves protein and it can have skin side efforts, too, such as hyperpigmentation and the burning of the top layer of skin.

It may be a coincidence that you have noticed increased hair growth that is not related to depilatory use? Who knows for sure, but the possiblity does exists.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#119102 - 08/01/15 10:14 AM Re: Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse? [Re: markdbruce]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Depilatory creams are essentially a “chemical shave.”

There is no clinical evidence showing such creams induce more hair follicles to produce more hairs (same with shaving). What you are experiencing is visual: from zero to “original amount” of hair … the amount only appears more than the original; it’s not.

Could the skin inflammation from repeated depilatory use awaken sleeping follicles (via increased blood flow)? Somebody’s going to make the case. I don’t know. It is somewhat conceivable.

The chemicals in a depilatory are similar to chemicals used in what was called a “permanent wave”: a process to curl (or straighten) a woman’s hair. (The chemicals were exactly the same in those “good old days.”)

Doing a “salon permanent,” a depilatory-like chemical is applied that dissolves the hair’s outer “shell” which frees-up the shingle-like hair cuticle (outward pointing over-lapping scales). At the right time, a neutralizer is applied to stop the chemical reaction. The hairs are then wound around a “curler.” While on the "curler," a “setting” solution is applied that somewhat reestablishes the hairs bond and holds the curls (but not really permanently).

In effect, the depilatory is analogues to a “salon permanent,” except stronger: the entire hair is dissolved (above the skin).

Both products present a potential hazard if used improperly (usually: left on too long). The depilatory can, after dissolving the hair, dissolve the skin. In most cases, only the epidermis is dissolved because at that point your skin would burn like “holy hell!” There are gazillions of nerve endings located in (just under) the epidermis. You WILL feel it ... YIKES! And the old "scrotes" will turn bright red, burn and swell: lovely!

Similarly, if the “permanent wave” is left on too long, the hair becomes lighter in color (almost always). Or,OMG! … the woman’s hair “fall outs” in chunks. Combining hair dye and a permanent wave almost always results in a “hair disaster!” Maybe that’s how the “Bob” hairstyle got invented? Or maybe those wigs of the 1960s (I still have one of Cher's wigs) ... or my favorite, a SNOOD!

Bring back the snood … very sexy! Lana Turner in a snood! WOW!

#119103 - 08/01/15 10:18 AM Re: Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse? [Re: markdbruce]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Oh ... up early with DEE DEE?

#119105 - 08/01/15 10:37 AM Re: Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse? [Re: markdbruce]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I guess we answered this question reeeaaallllyyyy good, Mike!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#119107 - 08/01/15 10:43 AM Re: Do Depilatory creams make hair growth worse? [Re: markdbruce]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

People are going to think we’re "in cahoots!"

I know I would like to be! Tee hee!

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Looking for Gentronics Multi-Needle 160D Machine
by fenix
07:10 PM
In need of some feedback
by dfahey
04:53 PM
looking for electrolysis apilus
by CMM
04:37 PM
Need how-to on Clean&Easy/OneTouch Foot-switch mod
by Iluv2zap
09:04 AM
My electrologist plucks my hairs. A french story..
by AlineBetancourt
06/27/17 06:00 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9507
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3092
Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod